Noob need some help removing vc

EyeKhan

¡AY, CARAMBA!
I'm trying to remove my OBD2 LS valve cover because I'm trying to replace the cam seal which is leaking oil heavily. The vc is stuck! I took off all the nuts and bolts. Is there a specific way of pulling it off or do I have to pry it off? I was afraid that prying it off might damage something.

Last edited:

rockadilla

thats right.
are u sure u took off ALL the bolts that are holding it on? try hitting it a couple times with a rubber mallot or put a cloth and hit it with a hammer. if that doesnt work u can always take a screw driver to it, it shouldnt damage anything unless u missed a bolt or something

96GSRteg

Tyler
are u sure u took off ALL the bolts that are holding it on? try hitting it a couple times with a rubber mallot or put a cloth and hit it with a hammer. if that doesnt work u can always take a screw driver to it, it shouldnt damage anything unless u missed a bolt or something
do exactly what he said. sometimes when it hasnt been taken off in a while it can be a little "stuck." i had to do this when i removed my tb from the intake manifold.

mirrorimg

Sometimes the gasket will stick to the surface of the head and be a bit difficult to pull off. I would verify that all of the nuts are indeed taken off before you try to GENTLY pry the VC off with a non-marring tool, as to not damage the surface of the head.

EyeKhan

¡AY, CARAMBA!
Sometimes the gasket will stick to the surface of the head and be a bit difficult to pull off. I would verify that all of the nuts are indeed taken off before you try to GENTLY pry the VC off with a non-marring tool, as to not damage the surface of the head.
I have confirmed that all nuts, bolts, and washers are off. I tried banging with a rubber mallet with cloth. No avail. It's like super glued on. Oh, that's the surface of the head? I'm learning. I need to find my hard plastic prying tool and I'll see if it'll pry off. Thanks for the advices and suggestion, guys.

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
if its old, it will sorta like...vacuum seal it self to the head and get stuck from heat, just gotta give it a good whack

Knice

Live & Die by Integras
I used a butter knife to get mine off...just go around the VC with the butter knife or whatever you prefer and slowly pry it all around the VC. You shouldnt damage anything maybe your VC gasket but I'm assuming you have a new one in replace anyways if its old. Good luck.

EyeKhan

¡AY, CARAMBA!
Yeah....I used my plastic prying tool and brute strength. I got it off with ease. But the hardest had to be removing the casing from around the cam and cam seal. Tapping with the rubber mallet did not help. After 30 minutes of futile attempts, I used a wrecking bar. It came off. I found a sh!tload of silicone used. Maybe that's why it was stuck on hard. Put my new cam seal in, some Hondabond, new vc gasket. Bolted it all up and voilà! It has been 3 days and there's no oil leakage. :) Definitely gonna go back to this forum if I need help. Once again, thanks!