NOOB: oil change

mjones73

okay.. higher viscous the better.. so 10w is better....?
Not always, if it's too thick at start up before it gets to operating temps, it may be too thick for the pump to push through the motor and it goes through the bypass valve and back into the pan instead...

Jack Rot

stick with conventional if youre still on it, only switch when needed, synthetic is really only doing its job on high mileage cars, its like all these people running around putting synthetic in cars from 08+ pointless, waste of money.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
okay.. higher viscous the better.. so 10w is better....?
if you were in the cold and you had some syrup does it move fast? no. a liquid with a high viscosity wont move and wont be able to lubricate your motor as quickly as a liquid with a low viscocity

Not always, if it's too thick at start up before it gets to operating temps, it may be too thick for the pump to push through the motor and it goes through the bypass valve and back into the pan instead...
exactly

jhun87

94 Ls
stick with conventional if youre still on it, only switch when needed, synthetic is really only doing its job on high mileage cars, its like all these people running around putting synthetic in cars from 08+ pointless, waste of money.
my car is at 134k miles, i believe that's high enough to use synthetic. I bought my car couple months back and I'm not sure what the history of it as far as maintenance goes. But I intend to take care of this car to the fullest..

Last edited:

Kiakid

Idk what to put here...
It's said that Royal Purple is the best, but the most expensive.. they have tests somewhere..

I use Mobil 1. :]
The guys that are paid to say Royal Purple is the best are the ones who say that. :D
Royal purple is too effin expensive in my opinion. It's not like it will give you more power. It supposedly lubricates better for longer, but i'll bet it's just as good as any motor oil.

I don't really care about the brand when I go for oil.
Most people put 5W-30 in their Integra's. I'm running 10W-30.
Ill clear it up! Royal purple is one of the better lubricating oils...FOR DANGRS a.k.a. low rpm driven cars with american built muscle. IE nascar, top fuel, and general american muscle cars which shift somewhere in the low to mid 5k range. The reason why royal purple is a bad choice for us "rice burners" is because RP breaks down at high rpm and therefore becomes useless. check the back of the bottle, it is not SM rated. SM rated basically means the oil is rated to handle high rpm. AND as a bonus fun fact, the conventional oil from dollar general, you know the dollar store a lot of us forget about? it is even SM rated, so in theory the DG brand of conventional is better for our hondas then RP. ;)

PLEASE NOTE! Only about 50% of that was researched on my behalf, the other half is based upon facts stated by a local guru whom ive personally whitness test knowledge skills against the encyclopedia of all mankind except football and won.. never seen a book cry before that day..

and bak on topic right now im using Quaker State Torque 10w30 full syn 4x4 truck in the teg lol but i generally prefer mobil 1 full syn in the golden veriety

Kiakid

Idk what to put here...
Okay, so i'm kinda confused.. I'm going to buy my oil at my local kragen store.. i'm at the site and there's 3 kinds: petroluem, blended, and synthetic. Now, the questions is. Is petroleum based is same as conventional?
petroleum based IS conventional ;)

fun fact, petroleum IS oil..:)

jhun87

94 Ls
Oil pan

I'm also going to replace my oil pan.. I have the oil pan and gasket ready. Do I need to glue the gasket to the oil pan or leave it as it is? Never done this before so i'm not sure. Any tips? =)

Kiakid

Idk what to put here...
cant say i have ever glued the gasket, just make sure it doesnt fall out of place when you put on the pan and it should seal up..and be sure you dont torque down on the bolts too much, break or strip them and ur effed