noob question

96GSRteg

Tyler
long story short - my motor blew (not my fault) and I am getting it replaced with another motor. I had a 96 gsr with the b18c1 motor, but the one the mechanic ordered says its still vtec but it was pulled off a honda and has honda valve covers but its still a vtec motor. Which is fine, but I am curious as to which motor exactly this is? I thought the b18c1 was only for the tegs, which makes me wonder what this new motor is. Any ideas? This is either really stupid because it could be a number of options, or one specific option because it fits right up with the teg.

:oops:

96GSRteg

Tyler
oh, well i feel like an idiot. For some reason i thought my old motor said acura on it. Thanks. I just wanted to make sure i was getting the shaft and my mechanic wasnt pulling a fast one.

rockadilla

thats right.
how can ur engine being blown not ur fault? unless someone else was driving it :nono: but yes acura is part of honda and honda makes all the engines

WAR 178

Premium User
acura= luxury brand of honda. Its only called acura in a few countries. japan has honda badges on the teggys. all the motors are honda made. the mechanic is stating that the motor more than likely came out a swapped civic or del sol. All b series will work for you. just make sure that the head says Vtec somewhere on the cover., g/l

mikekh10a

there's still a possibility that the mechanic actually did give you a honda motor.
there's a chance you could have gotten a b16.. i know the valve covers are a tiny bit different

EDIT: just for future refererences, the B16 is from the civic si

Last edited:

Joshmmc

As just mentioned, you may still run into the issue of the motor being a B16 instead of a B18c1. Both look very similar and will bolt in. Except a B16 blows compared to your old B18. Check the block for the stamp before you let it get too far.

Prozon

Kris
Jason great idea.

Can I have your old motor? I'm like 50 miles from you. And i'll be in the area tomorrow. :D

96GSRteg

Tyler
I know Honda makes acuras but he said it was pulled out of a honda so i didnt know if it was a b18 or not. Is the b16 a vtec motor too? I guess that was my concern because i know thats not even comparable to the b18. and the valve covers do say vtec.

And he wont be pulling the old one out until monday. The water pump seized and bent the cylinder heads. Its almost cheaper just to do it this way. If youre still interested im open for offers.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
yeah, id guess its a b16, they came out of civic si's. they are great motors, and have a near perfect rod to stroke ratio

and your water pump seized and bent your head? that makes no sense...
your mechanic might be screwing you, call him and ask him whats wrong with you'r motor and let me know what he says. If the water pump "seizes" then i guess the timing belt could snap and you'd bend you'r valves, but a set of brand new valves from Honda are about $12 and a machine shop can put them in for around $100

Last edited:

96GSRteg

Tyler
Well the guy who is doing it says he has done that before and its about a 50/50 of the bottom end not being able to take it because of the rebuilt top end. He said hes had guys where they have no problems at all and hes had people where the bottom end doesn't last and ends up costing more money. So i decided to just suck it up a little and do this. But if it is a b16 (which i will call him and find out tomorrow) then i'm gonna seek other options. Like finding another b18.

Prozon

Kris
Make me a deal on that old engine. Maybe I'll give you a good deal installing your new one. Lol.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
Well the guy who is doing it says he has done that before and its about a 50/50 of the bottom end not being able to take it because of the rebuilt top end. He said hes had guys where they have no problems at all and hes had people where the bottom end doesn't last and ends up costing more money. So i decided to just suck it up a little and do this. But if it is a b16 (which i will call him and find out tomorrow) then i'm gonna seek other options. Like finding another b18.
I've never heard of that. id get a second opinion if I were you.
that fix honestly would be very easy and cheap. How much is he charging you or the new motor if you don't mind me asking?

rockadilla

thats right.
he MIGHT lie to u, (its been known to happen) if u can take a look at the engine before u buy it. u can easily tell because there is a engine code on the front of the block. if it says anything besides B18c1 or B18c5 its not the engine ur looking for lol