OBD I and OBD II

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
OBD=On Board Diagnostics
It's the program in the ECU that's monitors and controls the emissions output of the motor and makes sure all the parts having to do with controlling emmisions are fully functional. Tegs 1995 and older are OBD I, 96 and up are OBD II. Needless to say, OBD II is the more advanced/strict controller of emissions. I don't know much of the technical differences between the two. I do know that OBD I Tegs have one O2 sensor in the exhaust system, and OBD II's have 2. And that OBD I ECU's are reprogrammable and OBD II's aren't. You've probably heard the line "OBD I Tegs make more power than OBD II's with the same mods because it has less strict emmisions", but I've never seen or read any proof of that. Anyways, I'm sure someone else can add some more differences...

DownShift96GSR

TegSox, that was nice simple and short description without getting into major details. Perfect, A+ for you today.

Yeah, I back what TegSox says.

hondalude89

Hey ppls, I'm new to CI. I just had a question for ya'll about OBD1 and hopefully someone can help me. Don't mean to threadjack GS-RAW. How can I tell if the ecu I have is OBD0 or OBD1. I've got a friend that is trying to sell me a PR4 ecu so I can run it in my Prelude. The only problem I have is that I am not sure how to tell the difference. I have heard that the OBD1 ecu doesn't have the code window on the ecu and also has three plugs on it. At the same time, I heard that they can have the code window. As far as I know, he said he pulled it out of a 92 5-speed GS. Here are some pics, hopefully that will help.