obd1 94 GSR swap

fwdnogrip

Hey, so i have some loose end to tie up

I have my 94 gsr here trying to swap everything over to an automatic 4 door 95 sedan.
Basically an auto to manual GSR swap

Everything is ready to go, just need to understand the wiring bit

Would i need to use the 3 plugs coming into the GSR ECU, those 3 harnesses that go into the engine bay, to make it work in the LS 4 door?

Or am i fine using the AUTOMATIC LS harness and plug into the GSR ECU, and only need to wire in a VTEC wire.

I can do the harness swap, just take an extra bit of time, but if everything plugs in and i just need the VTEC wiring, i might as well do that so save me the trouble of ripping our harnesses and swapping over

Thanks for your time!

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Pretty sure you can get away with using those plugs.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
You need to run more than 3 wires. I would use your LS automatic harness because iirc automatics have some extra wires and its already pinned to your auto ecu.

you need to wire the following:
VTEC solenoid
VTEC Oil Pressure Switch
Knock Sensor
IAB (butterflies)*

*dont need to unless you have the stock gsr manifold

I also hope you are using the Automatic GSR ecu, if not they are $40 on ebay. If you need the Automatic GSR cluster, i have one. PM me if interested.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
oo i would swap in gsr everything so you can have an original harness.

fwdnogrip

Im all for ripping out the GSR harness but i just dont have the down time to do it right now

I will for sure take it out but for now its easier to modify the LS harness, I just have to run the iab, vtec oil pressure, solenoid and another wire right

Even if i dont run those 5 wires, i just lose VTEC right? it can still run and all that but most likely it'll throw a CEL code and be put into limp mode?

Thanks aussie and samurai_blue for your info

fwdnogrip

So i got my swap all running , just throws a code 21 when i read 5500 rpm

Ive read around that it could be the wiring thats loose, but that isnt the case, checked for continuity through the shock tower plug and to the ecu plug

Would it just so happen be the vtec solenoid is bad? Even though it was working fine prior to swapping

Ive done the test checking to see if it clicks on and off feeding it 12volts, idles lower when it clicks on, but sometimes wont click on at all

Fluids all topped off , oil level is at maximum

Thanks

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
Lol i think you answered your own question in the previous post. Probably because VTEC isn't engaging unless you wired it up to your ECU?

fwdnogrip

The thing is, everything is wired/ has continuity, everything is seated properly in the ecu pin outs

Even when i hit 5700 rpm +, i hear the butterflies open up and the sound changed immensly, but the CEL pops on afterwards

So i dont know what else to try, do i leave it and just live on with the CEL popping on or what else can i try?