odd gas gauge problem...

when filling my tank, my gas needle only goes up about 3 quarters of a tank, and it's only taking about $15 to fill until the pump won't let me anymore (it should be taking $20-$25 to fill, not $15). my question is, is there something wrong with my guage/needle where it's maybe off by a quarter tank (thus actually having a quarter tank left still when my guage says empty)??

it's been this way since i bought the car, so it's not something that's just started happening. i have never had a problem like this or i wouldnt be asking. research has led to believe it may be the fuel sending unit? i've never heard of such a dumb thing, i guess i've always thought floaters were used, but apparently this is a common faulty honda part, mainly in accords.

thoughts?

Last edited:

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
I always fill up when I'm at the halfway point. I wouldn't risk driving until I see the light go on. Actually, I don't even think my light works. Better safe than sorry.

I'm pretty sure the light is based on the needle placement. My light still comes on when my guage shows empty, but then I'll fell her up and it tops off at 3/4 of a tank and like $15. It's like it refuses to fill lol.