OEM Honda Bumper Repair - Sprayed White

NintyNineLs

OFWGKTA
So, seeing as how i love original honda parts.. I couldn't let my abused front bumper go.

So i decided to test out some old skills i learned my first year in college (last year :])

First things first, the story...

I decided to tandem drift in the washington snow with a bud.
He was driving a slammed type R coupe and popped a balljoint.

He came to a complete sudden stop, and i slid right into him. FAIL.

Anyways heres some views of the damage.

Yay for OEM bumper basically split in half.

Yay for high beam cracked on inner nook.

Boom, all the destruction.

Boom, sanded, melted, filled, glazed, sanded. Removed license and emblem holes.

Sprayed.

Re installed shot. w/ 100% fresh and new paint.

another. with 100% new paint, new headlights, new parking lights

Last edited:

Taco

Whats the best way too fix a bumper like that? I have to fix a big crack in mine

R13

The other asshole
This could be really helpful as I may have a 98+ rear bumper that has a couple of broken spots on it.

vtecteggy617

Nice job. I have a spare 98 bumper that's cracked in the same spot. Share your secret so I can done as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

pluckt007

Fat guy in a little coat.
This has a diy all over it. It has pics, just include instuctions and things needed.

I mean cmon, theres a diy thread to change guage lights... (which I used lol)

Luckly when I drive like that, theres no snow. I have a fear of sliding off a mountian side.

NintyNineLs

OFWGKTA
I have quite a few more pics, and I'll toss in a materials list tomorrow after finals.

Along with a step by step.

To be honest ! I recorded the whole process on this gopro I got as a gift, but I had it mounted on my rear passenger door during a meet up here in Washington. And seeing as how this teg is absolutely slammed, I caught a few potholes and it fell off at the meet. There's no telling where it is now :(

Anyways, enough bad news.

First things first I grinded down the license plate screw holes and made a little crater for filler to catch.

Did you use a red-colored filler? Thats what i used
^ I was tempted to use a tinted filler, we got some new supplies in and wanted to try them out.
I threw on a fiberglass steel reinforced filler, can't remember the name. I'll post it in an update.

I repeated the same steps with the emblem holes.

I then moved to sanding the problem spots with 80, 100, 280, 400 grit sandpaper.

I realized the cracks needed more attention than I thought.
So, I grinded and sanded the area where the cracks separated to the point where I could stick some reinforced filler in.

Of course they needed more attention than that, so I whipped out the Wagner heat gun and started to melt away.
(I honestly don't recommend melting, it turned out great but took at least 2 hours)

I melted with a colleague of mine, and measured, balanced, sanded and filled/glazed the cracks.

Looked goofy with just small spots of filler so I did the whole darn thing basically and got rid of those pansy rock chips.
Definitely going to try out some clear bra with my new spray gun :) ill post that too.

Is the black grill now white? :???:
Keep in mind that I totally forgot to tape off the grill. So my next project is going to be probably getting rid of that. I LOL'd after.

As far as the filler, glaze, putty I used... I'll have to head down to my shop and see exactly what I used.
I'll post again with what I used.

Last edited:

NintyNineLs

OFWGKTA
Awesome, I'll have to try out the melting method.

Sent from my Toaster
Make sure you sand the factory clear and paint from the spot you melt though. I noticed that when I melt the fiberglass with factory paint on it it'll lift and chip from time to time.