OEM rims w/ OEM lugs???

lowazzteg

3rd Super Mario Bro
So a while back, my stupid ass wheels started falling off. I replaced all 8 of the front wheel studs and got new lug nuts from autozone... =) lol Everything was fine until about 3-4 days ago the bumping started coming back like my wheels were coming off again. None of my lugs feel loose to the hand, but I know they will eventually come off. wtf do i do. I have the GSR Fat Five's on my car and I've heard you need to keep OEM lugs on OEM rims. Do I tell the parts guy (I work at Acura so a lot of shit is a deep discount) that i need lugs for a gsr or lugs for my 90 integra? Thanks a lot for the help guys.

mirrorimg

Are you sure yo bought OEM lugs? Lugs come in different shapes where they seat on the wheel.
Conical and acorn. Oem wheels need acorn lugs,
and aftermarket wheels need conical lug nuts.

All lugs for hondas are the same thread pattern.

tilegend

you have to make sure that you get "ball seat" lug nuts...

most of the time at the auto parts stores they only have the conical 60deg taper lug nuts.

this is to show you the difference:

most of the time at the auto parts stores they either dont pay attention or they just dont know...

mirrorimg

Hmm thats interesting, I always thought the "ball" seat in the diagram you had was referref to as "acorn".
Acorns are definitelty rounded and not "tapered" like the conical (cone) shaped ones are.Good picture Tilegend

lowazzteg

3rd Super Mario Bro
Yes thanks a lot that actually really helps. I have been buying acorns the whole time. That is a big sigh of relief from me!!

I will grab a few OEM's from my parts guy and have the lube tech throw them on and hopefully that solves it! Thanks for that diagram, really brought things into perspective.

lowazzteg

3rd Super Mario Bro
sorry guys, one more question.

the lugs are different for a 94 gsr (where the rims are from) and for a 90 integra (my car).

should i get the gsr lugs?

or the ls lugs?

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
Go to your Acura or Honda dealer and get some OEM lug nuts. They probably came off because you bought some cheap ass lug nuts from Autozone.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
isnt it 1.25? or is that just every other important bolt you can break on the car? lol

IMO go to a junk yard and borrow some lugs off a couple different honda's. Dealer wont be kind about the cost of them. Might even be able to get them from a parts store for a lot cheaper then the dealer would sell them for

heykosal

Angkorian
Try torquing them?
And correctly?

you have to make sure that you get "ball seat" lug nuts...

most of the time at the auto parts stores they only have the conical 60deg taper lug nuts.

this is to show you the difference:

most of the time at the auto parts stores they either dont pay attention or they just dont know...
Yes, make sure you don't install the incorrect type.

Go to your Acura or Honda dealer and get some OEM lug nuts. They probably came off because you bought some cheap ass lug nuts from Autozone.
I'd never trust anything less than OEM or proven quality aftermarket. I'd never buy cheapo lug nuts. I once bought a set of wheels from an online retailer and they included a set of lug nuts. I installed the "tuner" lugs torqued them down to spec, and naively trusted them. Less than a week later one wheel came off and I lost control and totaled my car...ugh I'm so disgusted.