OEM Strut re-installation help needed

K3Ntegra

I was in a rush, and needed to be out of an area where I wasn’t supposed to repair my car.

After lowering the car to the ground, front left (driver’s side) strut appears like the following image when I open the hood. Already has a crush washer on it, right under the strut mount bolt. When I hit bumps, there’s noise on the hood. Nothing happens when braking.

I was wondering if someone may please assist me, the proper steps to install the crush washers?

It would be an added bonus as to how to install the OEM dust boot. I tried hammering it down with a pallet hammer, but I couldn’t get enough clearance to install the strut mount 14mm bolt. Time was against so I decided to skip this.

Here are some of the few, of the many images, I took that may be helpful.

After loosening, 14mm strut mount bolt for the first time:

After removing spring from OEM struts, the ‘silver indented’ crush washer literally appeared out of nowhere:

The two (of the 3) crush washer currently not installed on the strut assembly:

The project was an utter failure, since Koni decided to put the ‘U’ indentation at a different location from the OEMs (Model#: STR.T 8050-1014L):

As an added bonus, if one can link to website/manual showing how to over this ‘U’ indentation difference in a cost efficient manner, it would be appreciated. eBay merchants stated it was compatible with my vehicle.

Sorry if the post is ‘too long’.

Edit 1:
I was able to install the Koni. I connected the Koni without the springs to the damper fork and into the hood mounts. While I stood parallel to the driver's side front door, I kept track of the the 4 o'clock and 10 o'clock position on the 2 14mm bolts in the hood. I undid one of 2 14mm engine bay bolts, and let the strut hangloose, to get an idea of where to mark the strut. The 4'oclock position seemed to match the deepest/lowest point where the spring rolls around the strut. I also went ahead and installed the 'silver indented' and 'wide black crush' washers before installing the strut mount on the new strut. Under the strut mount, I put as much silicone paste as I reasonably could according to EricTheCarGuy. I also noticed the rubber piece that comes in contact with the 14mm strut mount bolt, should have been upside down, after observing the right/passenger side, which I had never touched.

After attaching the strut to the damper fork, I manhandled the strut/spring a bit, to get the LCA bolt through. Only left side has been completed/'meddled' with.

Bottom line, documentation, e.g. taking pictures, is definitely a key part of completing this project, as well as 'white paint' marker/sharpie.

Last edited: