Oem top-hat installation?

Blk_DC

Hello

I took apart my Tein SS to de-grime/rust and install polyurthane shock mount bushings... but upon installation I became confused...

The manual and other DIYs state to torque the top-hat bolt to 22lbs/ft.. Well when I installed it with a torque wrench it never clicked at 22(wrench is in proper working order, use it all the time on my vehicles)

I tightened it down now so much that the shock rod spins.. and theres a lot of those showing past the tophat..

-did I F@*&% up lol? or am I okay with the installation?
-does this reduce the amount of shock travel I will have if I leave it this way?
-loosing it or tighten determine its preload?

THANKS!

natron84

that should be tight enough. the only way to get it tighter would be to use vice grips on the shaft. I wouldnt do that though because it would damage the finish and may cause rust, or cause problems when the shock moves up and down.

Blk_DC

that should be tight enough. the only way to get it tighter would be to use vice grips on the shaft. I wouldnt do that though because it would damage the finish and may cause rust, or cause problems when the shock moves up and down.
Yea wouldn't want to do that lol.. Thanks for the info.. I was just worried because most of the shock aftermarket/oem assemblies, I noticed the tophat nut almost to the tip of the threads, compared to mine is near the bottom lol...

does this affect preload or shock travel?

Example:

thanks!