OEM Wheels + Spacers ???

Army74D

gtavila_
I did do some searching, but didn't find what I was looking for..
Just wanted to know what you guys think about the topic.

OEM Wheels + Spacers.

Specifically talking about LS Mesh.. But any OEM rims for our cars will answer what I'm looking for.
I'm not looking for that dramatic of a spacing.

Preferably with the stock studs.
I did some research and found that the biggest safe spacing to go is 5mm which doesn't sound to be that much of a spacing at all.
Does anyone on here have this done?

POST PICS PLEASE!

DC4twokone

Resident Hoodrat
look up ixcocoyxi's build thread, on the 1st page

He has a picture of fat fives with 25mm spacers i believe. It looked dope from what i remember

Edit: 10.5mm front, 20mm rear

Last edited:

XslickwhitetegX

UKDM EXPERT
you can only use 5MM space on stock studs, if you extended lugs on it, the oem lugs wont tighten all the way like the should, just all around bad ideal.

michaelz

he's running the hubcentrics which has it's own studs.

probably still illegal and if you get a badly made set they're out of balance and you'll get vibrations. for looks though these are handy.

Army74D

gtavila_
So do you guys know if 5mm will make any NOTICEABLE difference at all??

I want my front to come out a bit more especially...

Pics of anyone using 5mm on OEM wheels??

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
5mm probably won't be very noticeable. That is quite minimal. You're talking about just over an 1/8th of an inch. I am just too paranoid to run spacers. I never actually seen one fail completely, but time and time again I have seen what people consider "quality spacers" get whooped out.

Seeing this happen to spacers as often as I have, I would end up with a damn obsessive compulsive disorder with pulling my wheels and checking them so often. The benefit just does not outweigh the risk, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Army74D

gtavila_
^Daaamn..
I want somewhat of that "flush" look without getting ridiculous low-offset wheels.. Hmm..
Thanks for the advice!

michaelz

The benefit just does not outweigh the risk, in my opinion.
This man speaks the truth.

You're going to need more than 5mm to make it look flush. Anything less than a 15mm hubcentric spacer is a waste of time. To minimize the risk you need a well made set and you need to torque all the nuts up (it's now doubled to 8 per wheel) precisely with a torque wrench.

Even good ones don't like it when there's uneven force on them.

Last edited:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Also, many of the designs lead them to having to support the entire weight of that corner of the car, plus the moment loads generated by the studs. It's just a lot of stress put on them and often leads to fatigue cracks. Over-torquing wouldn't help that at all, nor the fact that they are made of aluminum.