Off Topic: Taking Apart My HP Pavilion DV9000

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
So this is what I did on Saturday.

Description: "I went to turn my computer on one day and nothing happened. The lights would light up but nothing would come up on the screen, I did some research and found the answer. So the motherboard on my HP Pavilion DV9000 went bad (known issue) so I decided to take the motherboard out to try and replace it.

I have never worked on laptops before so it was all knew to me. It took me about 45-minutes to an hour to get it all taken apart.

Now I'm going to either fix the motherboard or replace it and reverse the process and hopefully have a working laptop again."

[YOUTUBE="This is what hell is"]y3Gnw53U5LI[/YOUTUBE]

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
i tried rebooting my computer but it wont do it..??

tried running the reboot disk, nothing. it stops in the beginning.
and that F11 or whatever at startup and still nothing.

its a dell btw.

8-bit

do what now?
i tried rebooting my computer but it wont do it..??

tried running the reboot disk, nothing. it stops in the beginning.
and that F11 or whatever at startup and still nothing.

its a dell btw.
Enter your bios/cmos setup and change the order of what boots up first. To enter the bios/cmos you have to press one of the following keys for newer models.
  • F1
  • F2
  • DEL
  • ESC
  • F10
press on of the following keys for Older models (usually before 1995)
  • CTRL+ALT+ESC
  • CTRL+ALT+INS
  • CTRL+ALT+ENTER
  • CTRL+ALT+S
  • PAGE UP KEY
  • PAGE DOWN KEY

^^^when you succesfully entered the bios/cmos go to "SYSTEM" and then "BOOT SEQUENCE" should be available. all you have to do just change the sequence of the devices that are booted once the computer is turned on. Change the the disc drive (where you insert your reboot disc) to be the first thing that boots up.
after saving all the changes restart your computer and it should go straight to the reboot disc!
Hope that helps!:D

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
HEY!! get out of here with your third party support.

ixcocoyxi's warranty has just been voided as he has gone against policy.

8-bit

do what now?
Slo_Teggy did you check your cpu or even the power supply to see if that was not what was wrong first? when it comes to computers i usually tend to check the inexpensive parts first but being a laptop thats a different story because laptops tend to be more pricey on parts bc they are not compatible with all laptops.

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
when it comes to computers i usually tend to check the inexpensive parts first but being a laptop thats a different story because laptops tend to be more pricey on parts bc they are not compatible with all laptops.
Quite the run-on sentence.

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
It didn't turn on the screen so you went straight to the motherboard? There's a lot more than that to trouble shoot, yea a mother board could be it, could be the graphics chip, a failed screen.

speedin

The Transporter
I have essentually the same model (dv6000). I had to replace so damn much on these things. Have your ribbon cables gone bad yet? Because thats a known issue. Also are you sure the computer isnt booting? Because the screen's are also know to have issues. Mine is half on its way out right now, its takes some wiggling sometimes to get all the screen to work. Really I just need a new ribbon cable for the monitor but its not that big a deal yet. Now the transistor for the monitor also goes bad and can give just a blank screen or display something just funky.

Yea the MB's are common to fail but dont jump right to the most expensive fix. Think of it like a car, K.I.S.S. first then move to the more intense stuff ;) LOL

speedin

The Transporter
macbook pro FTW!!! and for all you MAC OS haters i dual boot xp (soon to be 7) as well :p
If you want to function in any computer intensive field but a visual design or art field that dual boot is nothing but errors. I have friends that constantly have issues with excel and Solidworks. Id never want a mac.