Official DSLR Photography Thread

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
I'm not saying I won't ever use the auto setting. I just want to use the manual setting for now to learn and play with.
Youre misunderstanding i think. I dont mean shoot in auto, although you could take a test shot. I just meant to press the shutter button and use the settings it displays as a starting point and adjust as desired. You know what a light meter is right?

Ryan659

Youre misunderstanding i think. I dont mean shoot in auto, although you could take a test shot. I just meant to press the shutter button and use the settings it displays as a starting point and adjust as desired. You know what a light meter is right?
I know what you meant. The camera does give an exposure indicator, so I'm using that as a starting point to select my shutter speed & f-stop. Then from there I'll take a few pics and adjust other settings. I may be doing it completely backwards though :lol: it seems that you want ISO to be as low as possible to help reduce noise? Yea/no?

Not exactly, but from the title I have a pretty good idea of what it does :D

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Alrite just checking cus it sounded like you thought i suggested shooting in auto. ISO is light sensitivity. Preferably you want to use the lowest iso that suits what youre shooting. It results in a reduction of noise or you get more noise using a higher iso, whichever way you want to view it. The lower the light or more shadows you will probably want to bump the iso. This increased sensitivity to light will allow you to maintain a faster shutter speed so youre less likely to have motion blur or whatever reason you might not want a slow shutter.

This link will elaborate better than i can if you want more in depth. http://digital-photography-school.com/iso-settings

Just about every setting on a camera is like a equalizer or adjustment lever. Theres trade offs.

MrGurley

************5-0
took a couple shots of my friends sti

for the veterans on here I upgraded from the d90 to a d7000, not that my skills got any better though

whitedc4

well it looks like it might be time to toss my d40x..... the purple line is getting increasingly worse and i don't really know how to fix it. i've taken it to two people to fix it and they will clean the sensors and it is still there.... probably something some of you could fix but i really don't know what i'm facing here.

not to mention its probably the oldest and worst dslr you can use lol

uploaded these to facebook before posting so idk if it messes with quality or not but here they are.

goofygamer

How many actuations do you have on the camera, Rachel? Google how to find out how many actuations you have. It's basically how many times the shutter button has been pressed. If you bought the camera used, the previous owner might have taken a lot of pictures with it already. DSLRs have a limit for its sensors on how many actuations it can take.

whitedc4

My camera has like a limit of 50k from Nikons info but I know it hasn't seen that many yet I'll find the exact number on it real quick