Oh joy, its time to smog a JDM b18

ChrisTypeR408

So I just recently purchased a 96 GSR with a JDM B18C type R swap. (Gonna create a post soon :D) and so everything is smooth up until the part where I have to smog the car. The car has the full b18c swap, motor, lsd tranny, ecu, ITR headers, ITR exhaust.

I have a friend that does smog checks who will pass me for visuals, but of course were both not trying to do anything illegal, but as a result I will be able to run my car for free as many times as I want.

So the last owner told me that I could get a GSR header and run a GSR ecu and it would pass smog easily, but unfortunately He was only able to give me the ECU. I've done my fair share of research on google and I'm getting mixed results.

Apparently...
1. I can pass with just the GSR ECU (and it will pass as a GSR)
2. I can pass without swapping anything out (but unsure if it will pass as a GSR...)
3. I can retard the timing.

Any advice or info would be helpful! I need information for my specific problem :T

I'm taking the car to run smog on Wednesday, so I will update you on how it goes. If it passes and all clears then thats great. I've heard of some people passing using methods 1 and 2 as I have posted. Well, wish me luck and thank you for any info I may receive.

Cripton805

Pass it off as a USDM Type R.
You will have a check engine light for the knock sensor since the JDM doesn't have it and a USDM ITR ECU will look for it and obviously you will need a CA legal CAT for an ITR.

My guess is that it should pass smog like that. If anybody can vouch.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
SO
i work for the ARB who governs smog.
A b18C motor is legal in your car for the following reasons: The b18C is considered a replacement motor as you have a DC2. You can pass visual, i suggest a USDM OEM header, a USDM cat and a USDM ecu to pull up the monitors for smog. The only place you will run into problems is if the smog dude is anal and wants to see a bar sticker for your motor.

ChrisTypeR408

Well my friend owns the shop so I'm able to run it there. Is it possible to just pass it off as a type r? Or would I have to get it bar'd? What I'm trying to do is just to pass it off as a Gsr, unless I could really pass it as a type r. So are you trying to tell me it's legal to run it ad a type r?

Cripton805

Well my friend owns the shop so I'm able to run it there. Is it possible to just pass it off as a type r? Or would I have to get it bar'd? What I'm trying to do is just to pass it off as a Gsr, unless I could really pass it as a type r. So are you trying to tell me it's legal to run it ad a type r?
Yes. It is legal to run an ITR if you have a DC2. NOT DC4.
Like Samurai said, you need those things to pass smog especially the visual.

I'm just saying that you won't run any problems with it. Run a pre-test and see where you stand if you have the CAT already.

JDM Engines do pass smog with the USDM ITR ECU if it's OBD2 and small components. That is if you didn't convert to OBD1 and tune it, etc...

Last edited:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
its 100% legal.
You can run a usdm ecu, You will have to run a USDM ecu with the monitors. So, you can either use a USDM that has a knock sensor or one that doesnt. Ill leave it at that, but its legal to have one as its a replacement motor for your USDM b18C1 since there isnt a distinguishing mark on the block of a B18C R or a B18C

ChrisTypeR408

Oh my god through all of the google search and chaotic hondatech post no one has ever told me this. Thank you guys so much. I'll let my friend know when I go to his shop on Wednesday. Thanks again! I'll update after Wednesday to let you guys know how it goes.

Cripton805

its 100% legal.
You can run a usdm ecu, You will have to run a USDM ecu with the monitors. So, you can either use a USDM that has a knock sensor or one that doesnt. Ill leave it at that, but its legal to have one as its a replacement motor for your USDM b18C1 since there isnt a distinguishing mark on the block of a B18C R or a B18C
Except the head, but CHP, Smoggers, BAR stations are such noobs.

It's pretty easy to pass smog with a healthy engine, but they just want to see stickers and s*** to say it's legal. I hate the law for smog... It's such a waste of time and money.

(NOTE) as of 2009 you must get CA legal specific car model CAT's. If the station wants to be dicks they won't pass visual if they see it's not a CA legal CAT even if it passes emmissions tests. :roll:

Cripton805

Oh my god through all of the google search and chaotic hondatech post no one has ever told me this. Thank you guys so much. I'll let my friend know when I go to his shop on Wednesday. Thanks again! I'll update after Wednesday to let you guys know how it goes.
This is why DC2 chassis should ALWAYS be more than a DC4. :)

I forgot to mention, any CAR that has been BARd for a GSR,
EJ, EF, DC4, DA, DB, etc... You can swap in a Type R because it has already passed inspection at some point with a B18C1 and now it can be swapped with a B18C "JDM GSR or ITR"

Last edited:

poordc2

not trying to thread jack or change the subject but isnt the intake manifold different from the US and JDM or the same and which one has the knock sensor the obd1 or obd2.....

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Except the head, but CHP, Smoggers, BAR stations are such noobs.

It's pretty easy to pass smog with a healthy engine, but they just want to see stickers and s*** to say it's legal. I hate the law for smog... It's such a waste of time and money.

(NOTE) as of 2009 you must get CA legal specific car model CAT's. If the station wants to be dicks they won't pass visual if they see it's not a CA legal CAT even if it passes emmissions tests. :roll:
the head is legal as it came with the motor

DC_Kazuya

B18c smog

Chris you never got back to say what happened. I'm in the same exact situation if you got it to pass smog please let me know exactly what i have to do. I have a 99 GSR and got the 98 Spec Type R B18c, i really dont want to sell it but if i cant pass smog then i'll have to do it.