Oil consumption

djv1986

Under slightly hard driving and occasional wot I'm consuming about 1qt of oil a week I'm not sure on what type of piston ring the engine has but the cylinder hone is about 250grit I beleive here is my compression test and cyl leakage test. Any helpful information would be very appreciated

xZachTheRipper8

is it only when your on the gas? or like with mine i shoot smoke out the exhaust everytime i shift at high rpms, or when i let off the gas i get an auroma of burning oil. also do you have any leaks?

djv1986

Now it's worse it pushes the dipstick out 1/4 inch from the blowby and the cylinders have almost 40% leakage and has smoke at idle and a cloud under wot

Muckman

Not a M0derator
That would be cracked ring lands.

*Edit - just flipped through your build thread.
You built a turbo motor with CAST pistons?!

Nick_C78

Then thats your problem. If you build you car to be stock...you have to be stock. You CAN boost a stock motor, but it isn't reliable and won't last very long, which is what you are experiencing now. Out of curiosity, how much PSI are you boosting on your stock motor?

djv1986

It's a Jackson supercharger at 8psi, and the rings never seated completely since built the engine and the vacuum is soo low due to the rings the engine is running 10.1 af ratio since its lacking the air suction.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Why do you say the rings never seated? How do you know this? 215+psi sounds pretty seated to me.

djv1986

Before the blower. It has 240 cyl 1,2,3 and 4, was 220ish and it's burning oil since day one, the hone was 250grit and I believe it needed to be 440or finer so I'm assuming the never seated prior

Muckman

Not a M0derator
You need to rule out leaking valve seals as the oil source. If you have access to a borescope you can pull the injectors and look down at the intake valves. See if they are covered in oil. If you dont have a borescope then you have to pull the intake manifold off. Exhaust valves dont give up this information so easily as any oil they leak is quickly burnt up.

Also take the borescope and look down into the cylinder. Look for two thinks cracks or chucks missing from the valve reliefs around the outside of the piston and then look for scratches on the cylinder wall (set that cylinder to BDC).

Last edited:

djv1986

I did that a few weeks ago and the pistons looked good and the walls looked good, but about the valve seals the head was rebuilt and seals were replaced and everything was oem parts on engine rebuild and it's only got 14,000 miles on engine and running type r springs and stock p72 cams