oil disappearing

Ganyon

I have a b18b1 with 125k miles on it. The headgasket was replaced roughly 1800 miles ago. I got the car back and after 1k miles the maintenance required light started flashing. I checked the oil and the dipstick was dry. I noticed the valve cover had a slight leak so I replaced it. I changed the oil, then I drove the car about 500 miles more, and it didnt want to start. I pulled all the spark plugs and they were completely covered in oil. I cleaned them off and its been another 300 miles. I checked the oil again. The oil was between the low dot and the bottom of the stick. I have no clue where the oil is going. I can smell oil when im driving.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
The maint light is simply a mile counter. It doesnt mean anything.
Its pretty obvious where the oil is going if the spark plugs are wet with oil. Its going out the tail pipe :)
The real question is where is the oil coming from?
All 4 spark plugs were wet with oil? Are you sure it wasnt fuel?
Any oil in the radiator?

Ganyon

The light gets reset every time I change the oil, but im pretty sure the plugs had oil on them. Smelled and felt like it. Maybe I should mention my exhaust and whole rear end of the car turns black. Oil or carbon probably. Gas mileage has dropped from 27mpg to about 15 mpg. No oil in the radiator.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Its hard to diagnose oil consumption. Its either coming from the top of the combustion chamber - valve seals/guides or its coming from the bottom - piston rings. If your engine is consuming that much oil you should get the smoke screen effect behind your car. Do you see more smoke during accel or decel?

Ganyon

Nope. I dont see any smoke. I did go outside to look at the motor. Looks like I have a slight oil leak between the block and oil pan right behind the header. Guess I better change gasket.

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
I had to replace my gasket a while back. Fairly common

2kdb7

I was in the same place until my clutch went out. get/do a compression and a leak down test. I got as far as a compression test.

g3teg97

Super Moderator
The first time I replaced my valve cover gasket, I forgot about the spark plug hole gaskets. That could solve the oil on the spark plug issue. I'd try that first.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
^that is pretty much guaranteed if you have oil on the plugs where the wires go in. As for a internal loss a leak down test should be telltale.