Oil Dummy Light

acura90integra

This is just a general question: The previous owner put in a 1994 engine into the 1990 Integra. He installed an oil pressure gauge (I am assuming because he couldn't get the oil dummy light to stop blinking - which is still blinking to this day) - so, I would ask the general public this, can I trust that the oil pressure gauge is all I need to tell me how my oil is doing? Or should I still be worried that the oil light is blinking at me? I have run that car alot since I have owned it (9 months now, and she is getting 34 mpgs on the highway) and haven't had any oil loss or leaking issues. Will the oil pressure gauge tell me about the oil pump (if it's going out)? Thank you!

Oh, an fyi....the previous owner couldn't figure out how to get the radiator cooling fan to work either, so I just had my father-in-law hook the fan directly to a switch on the dashboard so that I can manually control it (which isn't all that bad, actually, as I get to control the temperature - I just leave it on all the time in the summer and turn it off during winter). I mention that to let you know that I don't think the previous owner knew a whole lot of what he was doing when changing the motor out.

mirrorimg

Has your car ever begun over heating because the fans were not on? I would suggest checking that the relays associated with the radiator and condenser fans are fine.

acura90integra

In the heat of summer and in-town driving, the car has heated up, so I just figure instead of watching my temperature gauge every 10 minutes or so, I mine as well keep the fan on. When I had the car in the shop, I asked them to look at it and they checked everything out, but to no avail, so the switch was installed and now she's a driver in all seasons.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
if its a mechanical oil gauge you shoud be fine. the oil light is controled by ground so look fo a loose wire flapping around the back of the engine.

acura90integra

I am assuming you mean towards the firewall when you say back of the engine....cuz I did find a ground wire that was just hanging out by the radiator. Is that the one?

bfatdaintegra

IM motorvated
no its a single wire thats next to the oil filter it has a grommet around it its the wire thats supposed to go to the pressure sender what i think happened is the guy took out the sender and just tapped a guage to it thats prolly why ur oil light is on all the time

acura90integra

Thank you. So, what do I need to do with the wire once I find it? And concerning that wire by the radiator - should that be grounded out? Is it a problem not being grounded out?