Oil Filter - How the F do i get it off?

Papa_Dios

Bro I weigh 165 SOAKED and have pulled off filters that were installed at Pep Boys (WRONG). There is no reason you shouldn't be able to do this.

Cman46290

I would either buy an oil filter cap that goes on the wrench to get it off... OR as said already... if i have a problem... i usually stab a screwdriver all the way through the filter and turn it off like that using the screwdriver to gain leverage.... its never failed me~

-Corey

jznsn2u

I would either buy an oil filter cap that goes on the wrench to get it off... OR as said already... if i have a problem... i usually stab a screwdriver all the way through the filter and turn it off like that using the screwdriver to gain leverage.... its never failed me~

-Corey
see, corey knows wassup.

good excuse for a motor swap
Dear Dmv,
I couldn't change my oil filter, It was very stubborn... so I figured I'd need a brand new engine. Please approve my forms for the California State BAR and excuse me from all my previous driving tickets and future smog checks.

Thanks a billion
-you're friend, ______

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
see, corey knows wassup.

Dear Dmv,
I couldn't change my oil filter, It was very stubborn... so I figured I'd need a brand new engine. Please approve my forms for the California State BAR and excuse me from all my previous driving tickets and future smog checks.

Thanks a billion
-you're friend, ______
you dont have to bar it........................

jznsn2u

you dont have to bar it........................
Edit*
Dear Dmv,
Fuck you guys, I don't need BAR from your punk asses. I fckn hate that you people are always sooo slooww. Why cant you fuckers up the smog exemptions to 1995+. Ugh... sorry for thread jacking. :(.

your friend,

j13

Keep It Clean
Why not get an oil filter wrench? They cost like 5 bucks at autozone.

Jack up the car, put a jack stand, put the tool over the filter and twist. its going to be a little tight but it'll come off.

Do not even try and do it from the top. It will be a PITA.

Mkulrey13

I have a filter strap wrench and there is not enough room. And yes the person before me was twice my size so im sure he had no issues with this. Im going out now to find a cap that will fit with a wrench. Hopfully this will work...

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
If you can't get it off, hammer a screwdriver through the middle of it and use the screwdriver to twist it off. Repeat until it's hand loose.

rockadilla

thats right.
damn dude im not sure exactly how the intake mani on a gsr makes it that ackward to get off, but in my LS i can EASILY reach the filter no prob,

but yeah buy a oil filter wrench from autozone or something

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
damn dude im not sure exactly how the intake mani on a gsr makes it that ackward to get off, but in my LS i can EASILY reach the filter no prob,

but yeah buy a oil filter wrench from autozone or something
Same with the GSR. It's right above the intermediate shaft, not hard to reach at all from underneath the car. Unless this n00b is trying to get it from above. God I hope not.

mirrorimg

stab a screw driver in that shit and twist it out. :roll:
This

But its super messy.

I would suggest you invest in an oil filter re-locator if you are having this much trouble. The position on these is nothing like the position on late 90's jetta's.

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
This

But its super messy.

I would suggest you invest in an oil filter re-locator if you are having this much trouble. The position on these is nothing like the position on late 90's jetta's.
Sooooo true. Fucken Jetta's :roll: