Oil leak in car trunk.

K3Ntegra

When I lifted the carpet in the trunk of my car, there was an oil stain.

I tried cleaning it off with "Simple Green" de-greaser, but I noticed there more deep below the area marked with yellow X's.

I've been using synthetic oil since October 2014. Due to its lower viscosity and higher flow rate, this will cause more leaks. The leak had probably been happening with the last 6 months.
I plan on trying the Royal Purple "High Mileage" synth, since that seems to leak less, for my next oil change. Unfortunately I mixed it with 1 quart of non "extended-mileage" synth oil (4 quarts total), but it seems to leak less, than the the ones I used before.

I plan on taking the car to mechanic, but I was hoping I'd get some input before asking them.

The carpet itself isn't dirty because that's where I placed the driver's manual.

Last edited:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
synthetic oil does not cause leaks, your seals go bad because you change oil viscosity after the seals are already seasoned with dino oil. And, thats not oil in the back of your trunk. Theres no oil lines in the trunk. Thats either something spilling, and constantly spilling in the trunk area, or something else.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Are you sure the blinker fluid tank isn't leaking? It's a common problem with Teg's, especially among new owners.

Noneed2Hate

I'm pretty sure that's oil leaking from the spare tire, not from the blinker fluid reservoir which is on the other side of the trunk.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
I love this guy's threads. Hes got a synthetic oil leak in his trunk. Better switch back to conventional.

R13

The other asshole
Definitely blinker fluid, I'd take Muckman's advice and switch back to conventional, maybe even put a gallon of paint thinner in the gas to clean the engine out so the seals can seat back in.

Accel.speed

basically, i like fast!
Sorry but I think a friend of yours shit in your trunk and did a bad job of cleaning it up.

What a shit stain :lol:

K3Ntegra

I coincidentally came across another customer at the mechanic shop, and he suggested, that the main culprit was a poorly done body work, allowed rain water to leak in. This was a $2,000 body work done by a body shop associated with the dealership and insurance companies.

Today as it rained, I looked at the location, and it was wet again. No dark fluid. The left side was completely dry.

Left

Right (bad)

There's also a noticeable gap on the right tail light at top and the main chassis/car body.

A year after having the body work done, a car came in minor contact with the right side of the rear bumper. The gap was there before the accident.

I'm sorry for posting in the wrong forum.

Last edited: