Oil light wire issue.

Jesse_Heck

So i have a 91 integra LS. 166K on the clock. My oil light came on so i stopped the car right then. I checked for oil and put some in and tried it again but light was still there. I did an oil change and new filter. I also put in a new oil pressure switch. Tried it again and the the light would get dim when the motor was running and bright when the motor was off. So i checked the wire that goes to my oil pressure sensor with a voltmeter and it only read out about 4 or 5 volts when its supposed to be 12. I put a new connector on the end of the wire to get rid of the old corroded tip and im still getting the same low voltage reading. I know im getting oil pressure because i forgot to put sealer in the oil sensor threads and the sensor wasnt very tight and it gushed oil out very fast from the oil sensor. So after i put teflon tape on the sensor and tightened it down i still have the same issues. Ive basically ruled it all out except to the wiring. The light will be on rigt before you start the motor and the ignition is on, then when i start the motor the light goes dim indicating that maybe the wire is grounding out somewhere right? Im pretty lost at this point. Am i missing somthing. Can an ICU cause the oil sensor wire to have bad voltage and cause this oil light issue? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Jesse_Heck

Also, my intermitent wiper function does not work anymore. This helps confirm my suspicion its the ICU.

Amiguel6

Did you try resetting the maintenance function? There should be a button under the steering column, kinda above the pedals. I think it's a blue button. You have a DA though, so the button might or might not be there.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
That voltage is correct, not everything is supposed to get 12v

The codes will not reset themselves most of the time. Have you tried pulling the battery cables to reset the code?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Tried it again and the the light would get dim when the motor was running and bright when the motor was off.
Because its grounding somewhere from a short in the wire.

So i checked the wire that goes to my oil pressure sensor with a voltmeter and it only read out about 4 or 5 volts when its supposed to be 12.
No, its a 5v sensor. All sensors are 5v.

Can an ICU cause the oil sensor wire to have bad voltage and cause this oil light issue?
No the ICU/ECU has nothing to do with oil pressure. Its not even aware of the sensor what so ever.

also, my intermitent wiper function does not work anymore. This helps confirm my suspicion its the ICU.
The ICU/ECU does not control the wipers. Has nothing to do with it.

Jesse_Heck

Well i had 12 volts at rhe sensor wire before. Then when tje light came on i have only 4 or 5.

Jesse_Heck

Im almost sure it has to be 12 volts at the wire. Also what is that control box that controls the flashing of the oil light?

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
You can be as sure as you want, it's not. You're not going to only have partial voltage anyway. You have one power wire, it's DC not AC.

Jesse_Heck

Well then why doesnt the oil light turn off? I dknt care what the volts are i just wanna fix my car. I know i have oil pressure, i know i have oil in it, i know the sending unit is good. Has new oil and new filter. What could it be? And how come the oil light is on even when its unugged with 4 or 5 volts.