Oil Pan Gasket Leak, Timing Belt Repair?

Brett1414

Searching for that 1 swap
Got my oil changed today, but i have some concerns, My oil pan gasket is leaking and my timing belt is due.
I have 115K on my teg and the total for both came to $830.00!!! For 10 Hours of work.... Is this price correct?

Nick_C78

People always charge a lot for timing belt. This is because if it done wrong your motor will die. However, changing the oil pan and timing belt will not take 10 hours. I could take a motor out, strip it and rebuild it in less time than that...

Call other mechanics for quotes.

Brett1414

People always charge a lot for timing belt. This is because if it done wrong your motor will die. However, changing the oil pan and timing belt will not take 10 hours. I could take a motor out, strip it and rebuild it in less time than that...

Call other mechanics for quotes.
i was exactly planning on doing that because i just watched yesterday on how jiffy lube scams people by saying stuff is wrong with their car and its perfectly fine. thanks for the info.

Nick_C78

In my opinion, treat every mechanic like they are trying to scam you, because 99% of the time they are.

dlo253

And this time apparently falls under that 99%. In the strange occurrence that it would take them 10 hours for that job, they shouldn't be anywhere near a car.

Amiguel6

I got a new timing belt, water pump, new seals, 3 new drivebelts, valve cover gasket, valve adjustment all for $540. All Honda OEM parts too. The shop i went to is called HondaSpecific

dlo253

Threads like this make me so thankful for my knowledge. Cost of parts, and a little bit of my time... :D

Brett1414

I got a new timing belt, water pump, new seals, 3 new drivebelts, valve cover gasket, valve adjustment all for $540. All Honda OEM parts too. The shop i went to is called HondaSpecific
You live in cali! im on the other side of the country, but i might either go to my parents' local mechanic or i could go to je import performance to get it fixed. There is no way im paying $800 for all that.

I went to NTB to get my oil changed and thats the estimate they gave me. wont be goin back there...

Theasian

In my opinion, treat every mechanic like they are trying to scam you, because 99% of the time they are.
I kind of take offense to that. Not saying there arnt mechanics out there that are pos but ive never worked with one that jacks rates. We do go by this thing call labor guide that sets pricing. For instance 12 hours to R&R a transmission on a accord i can do in 6 because I am good and know what im doing. But one of our younger techs took him 18. Still only charge the customer 12 hours. it dosnt matter if it took more or less time the charge is the charge. Now i have cut labor down after a job for reason if i feel it was mis quoted by whoever.

10 hours dose sound high though our labor time for a b series belt in a crv which is no diff than a teg is 5.5 for belt and pump and 2 hours for the oil pan.

Call it highway robbery if you like but remember is something gets messed up belt goes on wrong damages engine its now the shop paying for it not you. Also when you take it to a shop your paying one for the experience and knowledge of the mechanic that is working on your car.

Op 10 is deff to high but the price sounds reasonable what is the labor rate they are charging. Like i said we charge 5.5 labor for belt and pump which the belt is about 30 and the pump is about 80. Oil pan which is would be gasket aprox 20 bucks and 2 hours labor

Our labor rate is 90 a hour pre tax for my dealer is do the job would be 805 for both belt and pan

Nick_C78

You should take offense to it lol. Mechanics are known for claiming stuff takes longer than it does. You just admitted it yourself. Obviously I don't think you should make less money, simply because you are faster than your co-workers. I also know that getting it done faster is better. That also doesn't mean that slower less experienced people should make more. But, I have known people who got charged 200 dollars to get their spark plugs changed, because it was a 2 hour job...this was a D15 honda civic... I just think the hourly rate is stupid, because it does depend how fast the mechanic moves, experience, and specialty tools... Not necessarily how hard it is to do. You know thats true.

Also, you think 90 dollars an hour is fair? You do know that at a full time pay rate (40 hours a week) that is $187,000 a year. Seems a bit steep to me for just labor. I know a shop has a large overhead, but not anywhere near that. Just saying.

Last edited:

Twriddles

Do you think the mechanic takes home all of that $90/hour. Most of it goes back to the business.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

TheMyth

Save yourself the money and do it yourself. You are on this site, so we know you have internet. Look up timing belt installation. I'm sure someone has a well detailed instructional steps on how to do this for 1st timers. You will laugh at those high bills when you find out how easy this is to do.
Just pay attention to how you remove the stuff and you will be going back with it in reverse order.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Also, you think 90 dollars an hour is fair? You do know that at a full time pay rate (40 hours a week) that is $187,000 a year. Seems a bit steep to me for just labor. I know a shop has a large overhead, but not anywhere near that. Just saying.
We charged $80 an hour and yea I think it's fair; there are huge overhead costs, oil removal, coolant removal, mixed fluid removal, hazard fees, insurance, rent, tools, etc. My boss and I ran a good shop in Florida, we did quality work and took our time to make sure everything was correct. Everyone want's car work done for cheap, if that's the case take it to thriftys or jiffy lube, and then wait for the problems to arise. Some jobs you make money on, some you don't. You guys who never ran a shop or business always think everyones out to get you, cause you can't get a cheap price.

You want your bolts torqued down properly, everything cleaned, gaskets removed completely and resealed properly; you're going to pay for it. You want some jackass with an air ratchet zipping everything off and hammering it back together to save time, not removing old gasket material properly, not cleaning off any old oil grime and coolant, go to the cheap ass shop down the street.

If you can do it yourself, go ahead, but most people can't. How many threads on here are about people f***ing up their cars trying to fix s*** themselves? If they just took it to a good shop and had the work done properly they prob would've saved money, and if you find a good mechanic and keep going back to him it's a lot easier for him to keep your car running right because he knows what's going on with it. But people want to jump from shop to shop to find the cheapest price and then no one knows what works been done so the same s*** gets replaced and nothing gets fixed.

gsr_nikhil

We charge $80-$90 per hour for labor as well. And I think it is fair. Most people don't even know what a timing belt is so they come to us because they know we do quality work. And yeah not all of that goes into the mechanics pocket. Have you ever heard of the term 'overhead' Nick?

Sent from my Moto seX using Tapatalk