oil pan leakage

san_luis

Hi:
I have to replace the oil pan gasket 2 times in the last 6 months. Yesterday was the last intent and i found that torque oil pan bolt to 5 Lb-ft......gasket leak.

Torque to 7 Lb-ft....gasket leak.

Torque to 9 Lb-ft gasket leak again.......but when torque to 7 Lb-ft the gasket start to comes out from the border.

I inspect the border of oil pan, im found there are a bending on the bolt areas......... actually the border its not straight and level around the pan.

Maybe its the problem of leaking.....bad oil pan border??

regards

DumaDa9

you should be having no leaking problems if it is tq'd down to 9lbs and you did the bolts in the correct order. Pick up another oil pan and go from there

DagoAcura92

Straighten out the oil pan by turning it upside down on an anvil, with a flat punch and hammer, beat it flat and straight.

emd513

yeah do that if u think u want mess up its not hard to do. i would just by a new oil pan and be done with it. that be ur safe bet. get a deacent gasket it to not the cheapest one at auto zone either

san_luis

Thanks everybody....problem solved......oil pan was the guilty !!!!

wraped aroud the borders !!!!!

i<3MyhonDA9

My oil pan leaked too i jus got a new one.
Works fine now. :)

jhun87

94 Ls
My oil pan leaked too i jus got a new one.
Works fine now. :)
Hey, so my oil pan has a leak too. got my whole set up ready. oil pan, gaskets and all.. I was wondering , do you need to glue the gasket to the oil pan or just leave it as is and bolt it back on? Also, do you need to clean the surface of the oil pan with somethng when you put it back on?

Russyo

You don't need to glue the pan gasket on. The pan should have raised points all the way around the pan for the gasket to set on until its installed.

Don't over tighten. You can't straighten a pan with a hammer and flat service because of those raised areas which hold the gasket. You would only be able to straighten very small areas by carefully bending them back to straight. It's best to get a new oil pan when you find that yours has any bends at all. They're very easy to bend, thus you don't need to tighten them down much. The rubber gasket should just slightly begin to bulge around the edge. Clean both services well before installing to insure a good tight seal.

SnD3

AFAIK, you don't need to torque the pan down... My rule of thumb is, hand tight, is usually good enough! I also like to moisten the gasket around the surface, to allow for saturation, and better seal quality... I am a strong guy though, so I just go until I feel necessary to back off... lol Don't strip the bolt holes out, or you will be, "screwed"! Hahaha, Get it?!