Oil weight to break in rebuilt engine??

tomas1.8ls

im rebuilding my motor inside and out in my 92 acura integra ls. i was going to use quaker state breakin oil but i dont know what is a good weight and is quaker state a good brand to use for honda?? if anyone has anything on this subject please let me know.

mirrorimg

Theres been a lot of comparisons with motor oils. I dont think one CLEARLY stands out over the rest, but some do perform better than others. I use valvoline sypower, many people use mobil 1 or royal purple. 5w-30 or 10w-30 should be fine to use. I'll try to find some articles and threads that are floating around for you.

Many comparisons I have come across are for AMSOIL, but it shows a comparison between other synthetics. Which quakerstate do you plan on using?
Synthetic comparisons

Heres some threads on what oils people use

http://www.clubintegra.com/board/showthread.php?t=6473&highlight=engine+oil

http://www.clubintegra.com/board/showthread.php?t=3140&highlight=engine+oil

Last edited:

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
He didn't ask What's the best oil?, he asked what weight oil to use to break in a rebuilt engine.
You don't want to use synthetic oil to break in an engine. As far as what weight to use to break in an engine, I couldn't tell you. I can't even remember what weight my guy used to break in my rebuilt engine, lol.

Last edited:

mirrorimg

I guess I missed the whole breaking in part, oops

se7en-mm

i work in an auto store and everyone that comes through building a motor they use 10-30 doesnt matter on the brand cuz they all just get the cheap stuff since your gona be changing it out again in 500 miles.

hope that helped any

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I just use a standard 10-30w. Usually the cheapest, like O'reillys brand because it's going to be changed within 100 miles, then again at 500 miles, then again at 1000 miles. After 1000miles I'll switch to synthetic and run it for another 2000 miles. Then I go to my standard 3000 mile changes.

patrick4588

Integra God
personally i change it within 15 minutes. start it up, let it idle for 15 minutes, change the oil and filter. change it at 100 miles, 500 miles, and 1000 miles. you will want to use a 0w-30 or 5w-30. most wear occurs at startup and since the new motor will have close to no oil in it, you want something thin that will pump and lubricate very fast.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
most wear occurs at startup and since the new motor will have close to no oil in it, you want something thin that will pump and lubricate very fast.
This is the reason I always pull a fuse and crank it over a few times even after every oil change. I do that to let it build some oil pressure prior to putting it under load and heat. Heavy clutches are hard on thrust bearings and cold, low pressure start ups don't help

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Same here. I will usually crank it up with the valve cover off to make sure I see that there's oil pressure at the cam caps and spray bars.

patrick4588

Integra God
i leave my oil feed line disconnected and crank it over and once i see oil come out of the feed line; i put the fuse in and start it up!

Spody02

Name: Cody
i change my oil every 500 miles still lol, but i work at a lube shop and get free oil changes, but i poured oil all over the head before i put the valve cover back on and i used just castrol 5-30