OK here come the n00b questions

b0gey

Some of you may have seen my other thread about me just buying a 2000 voltage blue DB7 LS. In process of replacing the euro tail lights it came with, with original 97 tails.

Now after that, I'm stuck on what to do.. I have about $450 now to throw on the car, but I came from the VW scene with a 2003 jetta 1.8t with 230whp and 305wtq so I don't know if I want to get bolt-ons for the integra if it's not going to make much of a difference. It already has an intake, would a header and full exhaust make much difference?

Or go coilovers and be done with it..?

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
Depends on your plans for the car. I would run exhaust, but I would do coils before that. $450 is a bit less than I would spend on coils though

b0gey

Well, the car is primarily a daily for me and the wife for the summer, then in the fall I'll be driving it to school everyday.

How much is a decent coilover? brand? What about a cup kit (springs/shocks)?

Also what are the good but inexpensive brands for header/exhaust?

b0gey

I see some skunk2 coilovers for a good price.. any good? I'd need shocks with that as well right?

Rx7driver4Life

Invest in some maintenance first IMO if not done already.

Change timing belt(Unless previous owner gave you a receipt with mileage on timing belt job), Replace spark plugs, Flush cooling system, Oil Change, PVC valve, etc,,,

If you have money left over then plan out your next mod.
Coil overs are nice for lowering the car but sometimes make the ride really crappy unless you get a quality kit which will cost more than $450. You can do the Ground Control with Koni Yellows which seems to be a popular set up around here but will still be more than $450. Also any time you adjust ride height on these cars you need to get an alignment done, unless you want to change tires every 3 months or worse. Ask me how i know LOL.

Always make sure the car is running at its optimum stock before you begin to mod. Imagine you get your coil overs on and you all happy riding low and car stops for no reason. Turns out your timing belt broke and now you need to do a full head job and you are broke cause you spent all your money on the coilovers.

b0gey

Invest in some maintenance first IMO if not done already.

Change timing belt(Unless previous owner gave you a receipt with mileage on timing belt job), Replace spark plugs, Flush cooling system, Oil Change, PVC valve, etc,,,

If you have money left over then plan out your next mod.
Coil overs are nice for lowering the car but sometimes make the ride really crappy unless you get a quality kit which will cost more than $450. You can do the Ground Control with Koni Yellows which seems to be a popular set up around here but will still be more than $450. Also any time you adjust ride height on these cars you need to get an alignment done, unless you want to change tires every 3 months or worse. Ask me how i know LOL.

Always make sure the car is running at its optimum stock before you begin to mod. Imagine you get your coil overs on and you all happy riding low and car stops for no reason. Turns out your timing belt broke and now you need to do a full head job and you are broke cause you spent all your money on the coilovers.
Yep - Will be doing maintenance stuff of course - the 450 is for the fun stuff only. Ok forget about coilovers, what are my spring and strut options?

Rx7driver4Life

Most height adjustment will need alignment to some degree just with a lower drop you will need less adjustment.

You can start with ground control coil overs and lower it a bit but the shocks wont last long at the stiffer spring rate. Dont buy lowering springs if you want to go low you will be doing double spending.

GC Coilovers are $265 on ebay
And Koni Yellows are $465 on ebay

So you can get the coilovers then throw the struts on later but soon after.

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
Shocks and springs are cool, but it does kinda suck that you can't adjust - and they're a b**** to install. You need to make sure you choose a nice drop if you get springs because you're stuck with it.

Four fingers of gap in the rear tires with no rear interior or spare tire, about three in the front

After on Skunk2 struts and springs with no rear interior or spare tire

suzuki714

make shure you have extra bolts for the controll arms ext... i put coils on my car trying with no tourtch or impact just a braker bar snaped 2/3 of the bolts and winded up tourching allmost everything and buying a bushing kit and bolts so a free project turned into a 160 dolar one

b0gey

make shure you have extra bolts for the controll arms ext... i put coils on my car trying with no tourtch or impact just a braker bar snaped 2/3 of the bolts and winded up tourching allmost everything and buying a bushing kit and bolts so a free project turned into a 160 dolar one
You do know you can rent an impact gun for 20 bucks or something right?

I have all the tools necessary, I'm no n00b to working on cars,.. only a n00b to JDM :)

suzuki714

ik i have one and everything including a compresser but no power whare i work on my car... so its a poop shoot

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
I think that has to do with location. I live inland from the bay on the West Coast and we typically don't have problems with rusty bolts like the East Coast

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
We just had man power :(

What happened to working on cars like our fathers - drunk as hell with no power tools

suzuki714

ya my car was a summer car only (i live in wisconsin) untill the last guy to own it thought it was a winter beater.......