On the road again?! Please help!

DA6righthand

Registered Badass
I’m in no way a freeloader, mooch, or charity case…but I’m left with no other option. Some of you reading this might know me or my story ; on January 14th, 2006 I was in a tragic accident that has forever changed my life. I was passenger in 1992 Honda Civic hatchback that rolled side-over-side 7 times. My 5th Cervical vertebrae burst fractured because of the collapsing roof. I was wearing a seat belt also. I am now a C6 Quadriplegic. I have roughly half the use of my arms (my triceps and lower wrist flexor do not work, nor do my hands). The chance of recovery is very slim. I have some feeling below my injury level and haven’t had any noticeable motor function return. As devastating as this injury has been, somehow I’ve kept my head held high and always try my best to not let my disability keep me from doing the things I love. That’s the reason I’m posting this.

When somebody gets injured as serious as I did, it has a major effect financially. People don’t realize just how hard and expensive things are for someone with a disability. My family had to purchase adaptive tools and utensils for me, a ramp had to be built so I could get in and out of our house, a handicapped van had to be bought for transportation…the list goes on and on. While I was in the Neuro ICU at University of Cincinnati, my mom and dad were off of work. Even though they were on family medical leave, bills at home piled up fast. Ever since then, bill collectors seem to call non stop during the day…my parents have both said that, “once you get behind, it will be a long time before you get caught up.” It’s a strange and humiliating feeling to have to beware of the Repo man…or siphoning gas from lawn mowers just so you could make it to work.

I’m asking for help from you because I’ve had my most passionate hobby stripped away from me. I love cars. I love driving. Period. Sitting and looking at your car and not being able to drive it is a depressing feeling. My car sees the road here and there, but I have to ride shotgun in my own car…watch everyone else drive my car. The problem with me not being able drive isn’t my disability, it’s not having the funds to purchase the necessary adaptive controls for me to drive. I’ve done my research and there’s no possible way to get hand controls covered by insurance or Medicaid. The only way to get hand controls for my 1994 Acura Integra is to pay for them outright. Insurance doesn’t see it necessary, nor does Medicaid, to get controls for my car because it’s too old, getting controls for a newer car is a different story though. Getting the controls for my Integra is purely recreational. I want to get back into the car scene and driving again. It’s been over 2 years since I’ve been behind the wheel. I have plans of auto-crossing after I have the controls for my car too.

Besides my Integra, another dilemma is my wheelchair van situation. I want so bad to be independent. I’m sick of relying on other people to take me places…it would be a dream come true to have a van that I can wheel into and drive all on my own. The van we have now is a 1994 Ford E-150. I don’t know how much longer she’ll run. The wheelchair ramp that is on it is falling apart. Sometimes the ramp wont work at all until you jiggle the switches around.

I know some people will tell me to quit whining and that I shouldn’t be asking for cash…but I’m going out on a limb here. I don’t like to do this, but it’s the only way I’ll get back on the road any time soon. If you can, please send donations to my Paypal account: holder133487@yahoo.com. Any tiny bit helps. Thank you for all of your help! Donations will be used for hand controls and other equipment needed so I can drive my car, any van repairs, other medical needs, etc.

If you have any questions at all, please ask! I’ll answer.

Thank you,
Justin Holder

kcombs

GS=goes slow
damm man I wish I could help fellow CI and Buckeye out but I too am strapped for cash.

I hope everything goes well for you man.

DA6righthand

Registered Badass
i'm hoping i dont get negitive feedback from doing this...i want to post this on honda-tech too...

Last edited:

Ericb

DRIFTERRRRRRRRRRR
I feel for you man, right now im low on cash but when i get some extra money flowing ill send some your way. where at in cincy are you? send me a PM and we can hook up sometime and i could take you to the meets or something.

DA6righthand

Registered Badass
i live right next to harrison off of I-74. my name is DC4lefthand on csr...i've been outta the scene for quite a while...it sucks.

JimmyRos.

07 BMW 328Xi
damn. you've been a member for so long and never heard you complained once. i'd glady donate but its gonna be awhile. im in a little hole right now. but im pretty sure i'd do. ill send you a PM when i do. im gonna bookmark this page now actually.

G3GirL

UUUHHHH-OOOOHHHHHHH...!!!
damn. you've been a member for so long and never heard you complained once. i'd glady donate but its gonna be awhile. im in a little hole right now. but im pretty sure i'd do. ill send you a PM when i do. im gonna bookmark this page now actually.
^x2. I've only heard him briefly mention it in a post long, long ago. His optimism is what stood out most to me. Setting up an account for him on CI crossed my mind back then, but I figured I really have no business doing something like that. Heh..

How much will it cost you to get back in the driver's seat of the teg (or any car)? When people see a set amount, they're probably more likely to help you reach it, in my opinion. Is money the only thing you're looking to get donated? What about parts to help reach the goal? I'm not sure what it entitles, to be honest. You mentioned needing equipment, also. What kind, would be my question? In all fairness (and I don't mean to offend you), the internet is full of scams with stories similar to yours. It might make people feel more safe if they were able to donate more than just money, since there's no way for any one of us to tell where the money's going. Or maybe set up another account that would be set aside from your personal spending? I dunno.

I'm ALWAYS down for a good cause and helping a fellow CI member out with something they love, though. :thumbs up

If you answer the questions above, it may ease some minds. :twocents:

DA6righthand

Registered Badass
How much will it cost you to get back in the driver's seat of the teg (or any car)? When people see a set amount, they're probably more likely to help you reach it, in my opinion...
the hand controls themselves are $1,400.00 installed.here's a link showing what kind of hand controls i need. i'm wanting either the basic or standard models. i'll also need a special suicide knob. here's a link showing the kind of suicide knob i'll be needing. i'm not sure about the pricing yet but i'm sure they're not any more than $100.00.

Is money the only thing you're looking to get donated? What about parts to help reach the goal? I'm not sure what it entitles, to be honest. You mentioned needing equipment, also. What kind, would be my question?
i've rode in my car enough now that i know everything i'll need. some of the stuff may be hard to understand why i'll be needing them...but you'll have to bare with me. here goes.... since i'm a quadriplegic, i have no muscle control in my trunk...no abs, no nothin'. it's super tricky to balance my upper body so i don't fall over. the best remedy for that would be a 4 or 5pt. harness. i want to make sure i stay planted in the seat and don't fall forward when braking or fall to either side when going through a turn. when the time comes that i decide to auto-cross, i'll probably have to get a bucket seat of some sort...but that's on down the road. a few other different things that will definitely help are an extended hub and steering wheel. my arms aren't very strong so the closer the steering wheel is to me, the better. i would simply slide the seat forward but i'm 6ft. tall and cramming my knees into the dash will crowd the hand controls and my feet could end up hitting the pedals. having the extended hub will also give my knees room since the hand controls will be right next to my leg.

In all fairness (and I don't mean to offend you), the internet is full of scams with stories similar to yours. It might make people feel more safe if they were able to donate more than just money, since there's no way for any one of us to tell where the money's going. Or maybe set up another account that would be set aside from your personal spending? I dunno.
any money donated to my paypal account will be transferred to a savings account. the money will only be used for the hand controls. any money left over will be used to repair the current wheelchair van or stashed away until i'm able to get a new wheelchair van. **i'm setting up another Paypal account that will transfer funds to a savings account that i've had since my accident set up specifically for donations**

***if anybody has any other questions, don't hesitate to ask***

Cheesenip

I <3 2.4l's
In NO way am I trying to be funny here

Have you done anything local too? Like, those jars you see at 711 or something (its all I could think of)..Seriously, Im not making fun at all.

DarkAngelGSR

*JDM Approved*
That sucks man....I can't believe that happened to you.. I was unaware of ur accident.

When I get paypal back opened, I'll toss some money ur way man

BEST OF LUCK!

heykosal

Angkorian
I have an incoming pending refund from another CI member to my Paypal account. I have gotten the refund receipt by email, but not the money yet. When it comes, i'll be certain to wire some your way. Honestly, i'm also kind of in a hole myself, financially, so I won't be able to give a lot.

Not trying to be funny with Cheese, but he is right. A lot of times people buy stuff(morning coffee, doughnut) and they'll see your jar and just drop their change into it. Other places sometimes are more willing to help, places like Chipotle, maybe even small businesses that are community oriented you know? I'm just throwing some ideas out.

I just want to add to everyone that anything helps..$1, $7.50, $10 $50 upto and more than $200 right?

I'm not going to say sorry dude because I'm sure you don't want people feeling sorry for you; but I will say I admire your strength your courage your persistence and never giving up! Best of luck to you my friend:worthy:.

Melt

the lone outdoorsman
sent yo azz $10 and i norrmall;yt dotn put out on acuase sdd ilie kdioz cuase my adzzz borke a fuck

G3GirL

UUUHHHH-OOOOHHHHHHH...!!!
Melt Dogg (12:27:45 AM): You have sent a payment!
Secure Transaction
You have sent $10.00 USD to holder133487@yahoo.com. An email has been sent to the recipient.
View the details of this transaction
MELT FTMFW!! :D :D

I'll send $100 for the suicide knob (link doesn't work, though) if someone matches me on it.

I'm calling you guys out!

Where's Kyle?! Match my donation!! ;)

ails98

man that sucks an honeslty if i had money i would help u out but livin in fl is sucking my family dry so we have NO extra money.....but good luck an ya i read some kids post early bout the tip jars u should just try that to man