over heat problem

fernando_dc2

I <3 my Honda
just 40 minutes ago my car over heated..... saw my resevior tank was EMPTY(just yesterday checked fluids) and i noticed the sweet coolant smell and LOTS of smoke coming from my motor....when smoked cleared i saw coolant on tranny mount and on EGR system.... when i filled up with water(only thing i had at the moment) and drove it home my cars temp gauge was reading normal??!!! didnt over heat again??? WTF? :shock: i was tripping a lil bit.... how come it went from over heating to normal?? and didnt heat again??

thankfully motor stayed in tacked (240k miles) help will be appreciated

Last edited:

72Spitfire

Check for blown or leaky hoses. Don't let it overheat again...blown head gaskets are both timely and expensive to fix. How many miles does the water pump have on it? Never trust them for more than 90k miles.

Good luck!

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
x2, sounds like you're leaking; easy fix, once you find where the leak it and it's not your actual radiator that's leaking

fernando_dc2

I <3 my Honda
but why would it go back to normal when i put water?? coolant is thicker shouldnt it hold up better if their was a leak?

WAR 178

Premium User
one of your hoses has a pin hole somewhere...the smell is coolant burning on the exhaust. sounds like there is a hole somewhere near the iacv and its spitting your coolant. this doesnt sound like a broken radiator, or head gasket imo.

fernando_dc2

I <3 my Honda
no coolant was on exhaust it burned cause of the hot tranny it was mostly in that area.... well ima go check it out again right now

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
Idk, I'm not really a coolant Vs. water scientist, but I had an issue with an ex's Accord that ended up being a leaking hose. I drove for a couple hours with it that way before I noticed

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
The viscosity isn't going to matter when it's leaking out of a hose. I would just run water for now until you figure out where the leak is.

fernando_dc2

I <3 my Honda
found the line that was leaking!!! its right next to the line that is connect to the intake system to valve cover.... it goes under the dizzy.....

pics the line right next to the one that connects from valve cover to intake

THIS ONE....anyone know the name??

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
well turns out my repair isnt gonna be so pricy after all.... i was gonna go all out and do new radiator,thermostat,lines and coolant temp sensor but guess not anymore since its minor...
nice, now you should do something special for your car since you saved money :thumbs up

WAR 178

Premium User
just take the hose off, and bring to autozone etc and cut the same type of tubing there (get a bit extra tho)...should be good to go.