over heating problem

stevoqb916

car keeps over heating what the hell and i switched to a full synthetic like 4 days ago today i checked my oil and there wasnt a drop so i figured thats why i over heated now i replaced the oil and now it boiled over what the hell this problem started saturday night now its just likt wtf

mirrorimg

Oil has nothing to do with engine temperature, although being dangerously low on oil can cause much more damage.

Check your coolant level, make sure your fan kicks on, make sure that when the engine reaches operating temperature both coolant hoses get warm (this means the thermostat opened and allowing coolant to flow through the radiator and into the engine).

stevoqb916

He radiator is full of coolant where is my thermostat and is it ok to run without it completely???

Coney

Spacely
the thermostat is at the end of the lower radiator hose in its housing and i believe if its broken it goes into a open fail safe at least if its oem correct me if im wrong.

Gs-Rvtec

your thermostat is in the thermostat houseing it will be connected to your lower radiator hose. and no its not. a thermostat controls temp. so if you dont have one your car will always say its cold when its not.

stevoqb916

Ok how much do they range in price and can i pick one up anywhere and also is it ok to on ly run water in the radiator im not in a area where anything freezes and from what i heared radiator fluid is a acid which can corrode like a bad battery this is just what i heard so i have been running only water is this safe?

mirrorimg

Ok how much do they range in price and can i pick one up anywhere and also is it ok to on ly run water in the radiator im not in a area where anything freezes and from what i heared radiator fluid is a acid which can corrode like a bad battery this is just what i heard so i have been running only water is this safe?
Periods are your friend.

Running water only is not good. Antifreeze raises the boiling temperature of the liquid so that it can absorb more heat without boiling. Water alone also allows rust to form in the cooling system, namely in the coolant pipe on the back of the block because its steel. This will not be good in the long run for your engine. I believe I have also heard that there is some lubrication in the antifreeze to keep the water pump lubricated.

This is probably your problem. You can still check the thermostat by removing it and putting it into a pot of hot water (boiling) to see if it opens.

stevoqb916

So guys im a complete retard my fan wasnt working and all the fuses are good so i think the fan needs to be replaced any opinions on what type to get?

stevoqb916

So i hooked up two wires from my battery to my radiator fan and it turned on so i figured it was just the relay so i replaced it and also checked all of my fuses and there all fine but my fan still wont come on what the hell is going on???

mirrorimg

So your fan doesnt turn on when your car begins to overheat?

That could mean that the coolant temperature sensor, which sends the signal to the fan to kick in when the motor begins getting too hot.