Overheated Teg, Help a NEWB!!!

Merle

My little brother was driving his 96 acura integra ls and I afraid he might have really damaged the engine. It started to overheat but I guess he kept driving. After the car would go no further, he called me and we towed it back. I could see the radiator was cracked, the next day we replaced the radiator. The car still overheated after that, so we replaced the thermostat. We turned the car on and it seemed to stay cool while idling but it was hard to start. While we were at it we changed the oil. When we went for a test drive the car drove good until about 3,000 rpm and then it seemed something was really wrong, big loss of power, and it began to overheat. We made it back to the house and now the car will not start. I'm afraid he has damaged the head when he drove the car when it was hot. I didn't see any water in the oil when we changed the oil. Do you know any specifics for what might be wrong. If so, are there any checks we can do before we tear apart the head?

blaketeg

I <3 Boost
could be waterpump failure but do what they said and take everything apart and inspect it to make sure he didnt damage the motor.

heykosal

Angkorian
Judging by what you're describing, it's a lot more than a waterpump.

At the least the headgasket is cracked.

In between, the head is warped.

Worst case, your block is cracked.

Either way it's going to be expensive.

:slap:your brother for not pulling over right away.

Is it smoking at all?