Overheating 96 teg

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
So it's never freezing... I'd run 30% antifreeze to prevent corrosion, keep using distilled water, thats a good thing. However not having antifreeze isn't going to cause your car to overheat, not in day to day driving.

Nick_C78

Curious as to why nobody has said leaking heatercore. Usually it leaks a little and you never know its there cause its there. Heater core always has one side open, which constantly gets coolant and it is possible that if it leaks that it can keep siphoning it from the whole system, even if the heater valve is closed.

Everyone else already said other ideas, so I figured I would throw that one in.

Head gasket is another idea as well. Combustion testing the coolant would confirm that.

luckyse7ens

Curious as to why nobody has said leaking heatercore. Usually it leaks a little and you never know its there cause its there. Heater core always has one side open, which constantly gets coolant and it is possible that if it leaks that it can keep siphoning it from the whole system, even if the heater valve is closed.

Everyone else already said other ideas, so I figured I would throw that one in.

Head gasket is another idea as well. Combustion testing the coolant would confirm that.
Thanks Nick 8)

If it pressure tests fine... I might try the Lisle block tester kit to confirm if exhaust gas is entering coolant, although no other signs are there to suggest headgasket failure.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-75500-Combustion-Leak-Detector/dp/B0007ZDRUI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412797514&sr=8-1&keywords=lisle+block+tester

Last edited:

luckyse7ens

Ugh, looks like it was a pinhole in the heater core hose. It finally opened up enough under pressure that I could see it.

I threw a piece of silicone tubing over the hole and clamped it down for now, will replace ASAP.

Didnt get around to purchasing the waterpump yet thankfully so I am only out $10 for a hose and tons of distilled water.

Thanks so much for all the wonderful help guys!