Overheating after valve adjustment

Murphy

Meat Master
So I tightened only 4 valves, 2 on the exhaust on cylinder 4 and 2 on the intake on cylinder 2. I tightened the valves to .102mm for the intake and .178mm for the exhaust. After a few miles of highway driving it overheated big time, cel came on, and it puked a little coolant on the intake manifold.

So I pulled over, let the car cool down, then I took off the valve cover and loosened (turned the screw to the left) all of the valves to a random spec (I didn't have the feeler gauges with me) hoping that the car would at least run without overheating. Same story though after I got up to speed, it overheated again.

I'm getting the teggy towed back to the house now. I really need some help with some ideas of what the problem is and how to go by testing for that problem and fixing it. It's a b18b1.

96LSteg

Jemel
B18A
INTAKE: 0.006" - 0.007" (0.15mm - 0.19mm)
EXHAUST: 0.007" - 0.008" (0.17mm - 0.21mm)

B18B
INTAKE: 0.003" - 0.005" (0.08mm - 0.12mm)
EXHAUST: 0.006" - 0.008" (0.16mm - 0.20mm)

what was the reason for doing a valve job?

were you running hot before?

I think that it may have been a coincidence that you ran hot after a valve adjustment. How new is your thermo?

did you make any changes to the cooling system? add fluid? If yes, did you bleed said system of all air?

Last edited:

Murphy

Meat Master
I just checked out the radiator cap after all this and it's disintegrated. I don't know it was on it's way out or this is a result of tightening the valves. A bit of the cap fell in the end tank as I took the cap off.

I also checked the oil, it's good, no coolant or white blotches. Oil level is good.

96LSteg

Jemel
Well replace cap, refill cooland, bleed system and see if your issue is fixed. Hopefully overheating didnt warp your deck surfaces...

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
My professor told us he would replace his radiator cap every couple years to prevent exactly what happened to you. I think it's a little overkill but at least it is important to check it every once and a while, every oil change would be a good idea, same with rotating tires.
- Aaron

Murphy

Meat Master
Fixed, car runs normal again! The feeder hose to the thermostat melted open on the engine and the radiator cap needed to be replaced.