overheating problem

sum41bum411

So the other day im driving with the AC on cuz its like 90 degrees out and had been driving for about 45 mins when i pulled into work and when i was idling the engine in the parking lot i noticed the temp gauge was starting to shoot up so i turned off the car right away. Basically everytime its hot out like 85 plus and i have been driving for like 15-20 mins and idle the car(in park...or just at a red light) the engine guage shoots up and i know the temp guage is working so im thinking myb a bad thermostat or fan sensor? help me out!!! lol

CollegeBoi

96 Silver
yeah Id say check your thermostat first thing...if anything its the cheapest fix that could be causing that problem, speaking from experience with my teggy

fernando_dc2

I <3 my Honda
when this happens i heard turning car off is bad?? you gotta turn the heater on,lower windows and put it on blast!!! that helps motor cool faster then turn it off after???.....thats just what i heard but honestly idk

72Spitfire

Yes, turning on the heater full blast will suck some of the heat from the engine, to the heater core, to your sweating body. It's a temporary stop gap until you can get the car off the road. Check the thermostat first. Flush cooling system, check for hose leaks. Make sure radiator fan is coming on when engine is hot. It may be the water pump going bad also. How many miles does the engine have on it??

96Marine

When the car is completely cool open the radiator cap and see if there is any coolant in there. If not poor some coolant in there untill it fills back up. If you have to constatly fill the radiator with coolant after this then you have to replace the radiator. My car has 150k on the original radiator. If you have over 100k I would replace the radiator anyways. I replaced the radiator, radiator cap, hoses and theromstat now she keeps cool as a kiten :)

IntegraGirl13

Yes I'm a female mechanic
I was having an overheating problem with my teggy, luckily it was just some air bubbles in the cooling system. Make sure you completely burp the system before buying and installing unneeded parts.

DumaDa9

replace the thermostat and and check all hoses for leaks, check the radiator for cold spots. Flush your cooling systems. If you want to check if its the water pump, let the car idle till its at about operating temperature and squeeze your lower rad hose, if its hot and theres pressure, the water pump is good