p1382 CYP sensor code keeps coming up

Jabes

I have a 97 integra and it keeps giving me code 1382 which from my research it seems to be the cyp sensor. all the threads I've read say that I need to replace the whole distributor to fix the problem but a few people said that its just a sensor inside the dizzy that needs to be replaced. Is there a diy or somethin about how to replace or fix this check engine light?

Hot.Damn.

newb and awesome
P1382 is no signal in CYP (cyclinder position) sensor circuit.

First thing check all the wires and connections for damage. CYP wire colors are orange(yellow) and white(black).

If you have a dmm you can check for a short in the sensor by checking for continuity from the connector pin for the colored wires specified above to dizzy case. Do each wire individually If you get cont. replace dizzy housing.

You can check for an open by testing for resistance in the contector from one CYP wire to the other. resistance specs are ( .5-1k ohms ) If out of spec replace dizzy housing.

If those are good fellow those wires with the dmm to the ecum looking for an open in the circuit.

I hope this gives you a better idea for where to start. DMMs are pretty cheap at like harbor frieght.

endo617

Rattle Can Technician

First thing check all the wires and connections for damage. CYP wire colors are orange(yellow) and white(black).

If you have a dmm you can check for a short in the sensor by checking for continuity from the connector pin for the colored wires specified above to dizzy case. Do each wire individually If you get cont. replace dizzy housing.

You can check for an open by testing for resistance in the contector from one CYP wire to the other. resistance specs are ( .5-1k ohms ) If out of spec replace dizzy housing.

If those are good fellow those wires with the dmm to the ecum looking for an open in the circuit.

I hope this gives you a better idea for where to start. DMMs are pretty cheap at like harbor frieght.
your better off replacing the whole distributor, they don't sell those pieces individually, its it a gsr or and ls?

Jabes

thanks i'll check them out the wire coloring helped cause I wasnt sure which one went to the cyp sensor

your better off replacing the whole distributor, they don't sell those pieces individually, its it a gsr or and ls?
ls and I have a obd1 ls distributor that Im going to try to use for parts

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
thanks i'll check them out the wire coloring helped cause I wasnt sure which one went to the cyp sensor

ls and I have a obd1 ls distributor that Im going to try to use for parts
ok now your talking my language, if your good at taking things apart and putting them together, then you see the piece that goes to the camshaft. This piece has a c-clip you have to pop off, then there is a pin that runs inside that piece as well, after that take of the necessary screws to pull out the whole harness and internals. there are 2 screws on the side of the distributor to successfully take out the internals

sorry i don't have pics step by step, hope my instructions make sense to you

bulkbrains

im having the same problem and i replaced the dizzy housing.. still the code pops up and i have the 96 integra ls which i believe is an obd2... i was told it could also be the cmp sensor but i was only getting the cyp code popping up on the scanner.... i didnt replace the rotor or dizzy cap... and i was told to replace the ecu..... what do u guys think?

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
im having the same problem and i replaced the dizzy housing.. still the code pops up and i have the 96 integra ls which i believe is an obd2... i was told it could also be the cmp sensor but i was only getting the cyp code popping up on the scanner.... i didnt replace the rotor or dizzy cap... and i was told to replace the ecu..... what do u guys think?
so you replaced the internals from the obd2 distributor that was throwing the code to a different, housing and used that or replaced the internals completely?

bulkbrains

i just bought a new distributor housing.. and i still get the code and im checking the wires as we speak and they seems to be good so far.. i was told to replace the ecu but i havent done so yet

bulkbrains

let me rephrase this haha i got confused re reading it right now i replaced the whole distributor except the rotor and cap