P1790 Code HELP

travistrouble

Okay so our A/T 2DR LS has been having problems lately. The check engine light has been on since we bought it but the codes it reads out are P1790 and P0700. I've looked all over the web and have seen that P1790 means TPS malfunction but on some sites it says Automatic Transaxle concerns.

I just put in a brand new TPS but the wiring that the previous owner did was cut the wiring and connect the wires from the harness and the TPS and wrap them with electrical tape. So if it were just the wiring that is an easy fix but why is the code also showing up on google as the transaxle concern?

When driving I have to keep it in 3rd and when it reaches 50mph I have to manually shift it to 4th or it doesn't shift. So that could be a solenoid possibly? Also note, I did just replace the ECU because I thought that could be the shifting problem and it didn't fix anything.

You guys are the best when it comes to integras and I trust your judgement more than some shady mechanic so any advice is extremely helpful. My wife drives the teggy to and from work everyday and I don't want her broken down while I'm away for Army duty.

Thank you guys.

Last edited:

travistrouble

I also wanted to note that occasionally when I accelerate, thick white smoke comes out and it smells like fuel. I know it's not head gasket related because it doesn't show any signs like oil in the antifreeze or milky dipstick. I'm guessing it is getting too much gas and the smoke is from it being burned off? I don't know.

travistrouble

So I just read about 20 threads of White Smoke and TPS in the title and everyone is only posting white smoke being a blown head gasket but I have none of the signs of it. The oil is normal, it doesn't overheat, there's no oil in the antifreeze, and I just replaced the upper radiator hose 2 days ago so I don't know what to do

travistrouble

Finally a reply lol No I haven't done any work since getting the codes earlier tonight. I came straight home after leaving Auto Zone and got on here to see if anyone else had similar issues.

4dr94teg

Old School Tuner
Did you have auto zone pull the codes for you? They should do it for free then you will no exactly what the codes mean......i would fix the wiring for sure by soldering it or using oem clips. Have you checked the transmission fluid, how many miles?

White smoke coolant or oil being burned black smoke would mean to much fuel being burned, have you checked you pcv valve or had a leak down test done?

Check your oil levels every time you fill up with gas, you could be burning oil through your valve stem seals as well.

Last edited:

travistrouble

The guy at Auto Zone pulled the codes for me earlier tonight. He has a '91 integra LS so he knows a little about them but I figured you guys would know more. I am going to try to put the wires together with the splice things you buy where you crimp them together. I am just now learning to DIY what I can because we don't have the money for high repair bills and rebuild costs so I don't trust myself soldering yet..

Tuesday I all of my fluids are good. Fresh oil change, coolant topped off, and everything else looks fine but I haven't changed or flushed anything but the oil since we got it in October.

Thank you for your help btw, I'm leaving in less than a month and I really want to get it running good for my wife to be safe in. Also 144,XXX miles.

travistrouble

I haven't checked the PCV valve, I'm still a beginner so I have know idea how to check that. And I haven't had any other tests done other than the code test at auto zone. The smoke billows out at random times while driving, not when idling only when it accelerates and only sometimes.

It is white and smells like fuel. It isn't condensation because it happens when the car has warmed up. The temperature gauge stays just a hair below the middle, leaning towards the cold side. It's never overheated either.

How would I go about checking those things you mentioned?

4dr94teg

Old School Tuner
Get a service manual from the dealer for your car it will tell and show you everything I think it's your valve seals though

travistrouble

What cost would it be to have the valve seals replaced? I don't know if it's related or not, but about a month ago I replaced the valve cover gasket.

altered_images

DTC P0700 Automatic Transmission
This code is generated by any detected transmission fault. Acura does not have a diagnostic chart for this DTC. To eliminate DTC P0700, troubleshoot the other automatic transmission problem(s) according to the DTC(s) indicated.

both of those are pulled from alldata

hope this helps you some

travistrouble

That pic relieved a lot of stress. So now that it seems with the poor connection of the TPS I guess that's the cause of the code. Would that cause the white smoke and smell of fuel?

The only thing I can think of is that the TPS isn't connected properly so it's dumping too much gas into the cylinders so it's causing more smoke?

travistrouble

About the P0700, the guy at Autozone said that it could be the transmission solenoids and he showed me where they are but not how to replace them or where to get the solenoids. Do you think that would throw the code I'm getting? Since the code shows for ANY detected fault.

I've always been scared to do a lot with cars like most of you guys because there are too many IF's to worry about. But I'd like to DIY as much as I can from joining this site and listening to you guys. I really appreciate any and all help.