paint job?

Catman

I'm wanting to get my 96 Ls painted here soon after doing the suspension. I need some advice.. I have no idea where I should go to get a good paint job and I really don't know much about car painting. Is it best to go to a good paint or body shop, or should I find a local solo painter or something? I want to make sure my car is done right and I'm not afraid to put a good thousand dollars toward the paint job to make sure it's a good one.. any advice or tips would be great!

Thanks.

goofygamer

There's a whole load of worries when you go about painting a car. Like, overspray, underspray, prep work, type of paint they will use, will they remove weatherstrips or tape them, etc. You said your limit would be about $1000? If you have no connections, a good paint job will not be around $1000 if you're planning to paint door jams and everything else. If anything, ask your local painters some questions. Best bet is to go to them ask see their finished and prep work, personally. I did a couple months of researching, then realized that I can't make a decision unless I see the painter's work up close. Dupont chromabase, Dupont chromapremiere, PPG dbu, and PPG dbc are a couple popular paints out there if you are just going for a base color or something.

Catman

ok I think I just need to do some local research then. I sorta have contacts for this one guy who does 300 dollar paint jobs. I would have to do the prep work myself though and buy the paint I believe. Could you guys with good paint jobs post some pics for me and tell me where you got your paint jobs? Solo painters or local shops? That's kind of my biggest concern at the moment. I guess either way I should just search and price things but I'm kind of lost at the moment.. Like I said I just want it to be done right. Is it common to have the motor pulled to paint the engine bay as well? What else should I remove from the car?