Paint prepping

HersTEG

So my car paint is seriously fading... So I'm planning a DIY to save me some money. What grit sand paper should I start off sanding and switch to softer grit?

beast

google it, i would for you but at work LOL but tons and tons of write up on dyi from honda-tech to shitty team integra to this amazing club integra...just google

beast

autobody101.com maybe that helps.

G3GirL

UUUHHHH-OOOOHHHHHHH...!!!
So my car paint is seriously fading... So I'm planning a DIY to save me some money. What grit sand paper should I start off sanding and switch to softer grit?
I can't remember exactly what grit I started off with when doing my car, but I do know that it was very coarse macrogrits in the low hundred starting off. Keep in mind that I did have to do a lot of body work to do, though. You'll have to gradually work into microgrits (1000+ grit being the final stages). Since I stripped my car, I had to lay down a few coats of primer and had to wetsand as well. Has the car been painted before? If not, you can get away with no primer if the paint is infact original.

I highly suggest researching paint prep before jumping into it if you haven't already. If you don't sand correcly, use too coarse of a paper, or don't gradually go finer, the paint will look shitty when it comes out because you'll be able to see the sanding marks that weren't able to see or feel before. The paint will bring out any imperfections that you didn't see before.

Things to consider: 1) Purchasing a couple sanding blocks and rubber tubes in different sizes (the tubes will help you when sanding rounded areas and grooves); 2) Laying down a black (or contrasting) guide coat of paint so you can find any high/low areas when sanding.

Good luck! You'll need lots of sandpaper. Lots and lots of sandpaper. lol

nvuswhippz

Union paying every 6 mo.
excellent post G3GIRL you're right i've painted diy many times and the prep sanding may be a beotch but following what she said is the most important step start low number grit to 1000 or even higher!!!

rexpepper123

if you are going to sand the clear coat and paint to refinish it use 240 first then go over it fast with some 320 to get the 240 deep sand scratches out if you want but 240 is what i used. also use 240 on the primer as well. my pops is a painter im working on my body work and paint myself. what color are you going/

G3GirL

UUUHHHH-OOOOHHHHHHH...!!!
sanding may be a beotch but following what she said is the most important step start low number grit to 1000 or even higher!!!
No joke. I started off excited about doing some work to my car, but by the time I was done, I was so over sanding. It turned the garage into a freaking mess. Another thing to do is to lay down a big piece of tarp so sweeping it a little easier. You might start off thinking you'll just throw the used paper scraps into a bag for easy cleanup, but when you're days or weeks into it, you're just gonna throw it wherever it lands.

The highest I went with was 2000 grit for wetsanding, but they do have even finer grit paper (not necessary IMO).

rexpepper123

The highest I went with was 2000 grit for wetsanding, but they do have even finer grit paper (not necessary IMO).
yeah i use the 3000 grit to sand out the 2000 grit sand scratches from clear coat. with a good buffing and some wax makes it look like glass!

HersTEG

thanks to all of the above :p I did some research on it and went to talk to a guy who paints car at this paint shop.. he gave me a couple of hints.

callmedj

im debating on fixing up my paint job, whoever did it sucks, cuz you can clearly see the scratches threw the clear, so idk if im going to give it a shot or just drop it off at macco or a local shop and hope for best...seriously leaning towards myself to save money and give me something new to be happy about on my car lol

HersTEG

so after doing research on DIY painting and paint prepping.... I finally started sanding my car down today.. this is what I have done atm.

Last edited: