Painting car with Sher Kem

sportsma1539

Alright guys... I'm tired of looking at my ugly "milano red" da which hardly has a clear coat left on it so I'm going to paint it myself. I know, most people don't recommend it but anything will look better than what it does now. I work at sherwin williams and was looking through a bunch of our industrial products and found something called sher kem. Its basically a high gloss enamel urethane. I saw pictures of this stuff on various industrial items and to be honest it looks just as good as auto paint. I can get it for around $30 a gallon but the optional hardener that goes with it is $35 a quart with an 8 to 1 mix. They also recommend a product called kem 400 primer which they claim will have "better gloss retention" and its $25 a gallon. So Im going to give this a try and post pics of my progress as I go.

Now as far as prep work on this car. I know I'm going to have to sand all the clear off the car but Im not exactly sure what grit I should use. This is the idea I have, tell me if I'm wrong. Im going to use a da sander with 220 grit sandpaper and sand the clear off and being careful not to get into the paint. Also i was going to use a scuff pad on the areas that I cant get to with the da sander. Is this the right process to get the clear coat off and ready for primer?

j13

Keep It Clean
Can't wait to see the pics.

Wet sand the whole body using 400grit. Keep the sand paper wet to prevent it from clocking up the grit.

Are you going to be doing any ding and dent repair? Might as well get everything cherry as hell...

sportsma1539

Well I finally got around today to work on the car some. I pretty much got it all stripped down except for the rear moldings and the door handles. I went ahead and painted some of the molding pieces. I used duplicolor trim paint which is supposed to give an oem look and they came out great. I went ahead and painted the DOHC letters in red with some touch up paint and I think it came out pretty nice. Tell me what you think

sportsma1539

Well Im getting around now to the primer stage and I know I said at the beginning that I was going to use a primer that was recommended with this paint but since this stuff isnt really recommended for cars(they dont say not to use it on cars) I think Im going to use an auto primer. My question is what type of primer should I use? First off the paint is an alkyd enamel. Not a urethane. Ive heard bad things about lacquer primers and shrinking and causing the paint to have a wrinkle effect. There are just so many choices out there and I need to know the best choice as far as the type of primer to use.