painting lips and sideskirts

x007den

first off there aren't any action shots cause i was by myself, my dad only told me what to do and went back inside and chilled :???:

so it all starts off with a trip to the shop:

these are the pieces to be painted, removing the sideskirts was incredibly simple btw:

heres some of the materials, all in all i used: 320 grit sand paper, thinner, vsm basecoat + reducer, clearcoat + activator, and an adhesion promoter spray

here they are drying off after some wet sanding with 320 grit. you know you're done when all the gloss is gone:

x007den

here are the tools to be used, two paint guns (one for primer and the other for base and clear coats:

here they are after drying from primer, when its dry, you need to dry sand again with 320 grit, this time til its nice and smooth. you don't want to overdo it cause it'll grind all the way back to the original surface:

heres my dog chillin next to the air compressor during one of my breaks:

this is after they dried from the basecoats, at this point you want to avoid anything touching it:

heres the lip after clearcoat and install:

Baldy201

nice job dude. How much did all the materials cost? Does any one in your famliy do profesional painting that you learned from?

x007den

yeah my dad does. i can't really tell you total cost cause we already had a lot of the materials i used.

Todd

token ex-mod
excelent write up man!, do i smell a future sticky eh? i'd sure give it my vote :thumbs up

bry6976

Do you guys know about how much that would cost if you were to take the lips and side skirts to a paintshop and have them do it? I like the look of the stock side skirts and just want to have them sanded down and painted. Also, has anyone tried this that doesn't have access to a dad who's a professional and that nice of paint gun.