Painting my hood. HELP please

JuniorDA[LS]

Im wanting to paint my hood black, its a 92 hood. i never done anything like this before. i want to do this for experience. I know you need to sand it, primer, paint then clear coat. i have a couple of questions:

-what paint do i use?
-how much is everything going to cost?
-how long does the whole process take?
-what sand paper do i use?
-and what's the most difficult thing to do in this process

if you guys can help me out that'll be great and if you guys want to add anything feel free to do so

thanks

mkl399

The time really depends on how damadges your hood looks and how good you want it to look. if it has a lot of dings and what not and you dont want those to show through then it will talke a lot longer to fill those all in. Price also kind of depends of damadges but i dont think it would cost more that a $100. just depends on what paint you get.

When i painted my car i got paint with the clear coat already in it from the local NAPA shop. It looks pretty nice and seems to be holding up well.

As far as sand paper goes you are going to want to start ouyt with a 100 ish grit to remove the clear coat and any paint where body filler is needed. then maybe go up to 300. prime it, sand with something around 300 and paint. when your done if you want the paint to shine LIGHTLY wet sand with something like a 1200 grit.

I have to say for me the hardest part was painting it so the paint didnt run and look like shit.. just keep the coats light and do 2 or 3 coats.

thats all i can think of. if anyone has any corrections let me know

vgees92gsr

hvlp spray gun to start
any auto paint will be fine go to napa they mix up paint there all you'll need is a quart for the hood with hardener and laquer thinner
i start with 180 grit and go up to 600 and then spray primer look for any high or low spots and resand it going up too 800 grit sandpaper
obviously after every sand your gonna wanna wipe hood off with thinner to get all dust and stuff off it

vgees92gsr

alot of paint has clear mixed right in and when your done do like 3-4 finish coats and then wet sand with 1500 grit up too 2500grit
i work as an auto body tech so i do it alot lol

JuniorDA[LS]

hvlp spray gun to start
any auto paint will be fine go to napa they mix up paint there all you'll need is a quart for the hood with hardener and laquer thinner
i start with 180 grit and go up to 600 and then spray primer look for any high or low spots and resand it going up too 800 grit sandpaper
obviously after every sand your gonna wanna wipe hood off with thinner to get all dust and stuff off it
what do you mean start with 180 grit then go up to 600? start from 180 then make my way up to 600? or start from 180 then go straight to 600. also why do you have to move up on sandpaper??

JuniorDA[LS]

alot of paint has clear mixed right in and when your done do like 3-4 finish coats and then wet sand with 1500 grit up too 2500grit
i work as an auto body tech so i do it alot lol
do i need to buy wet sand? or simply just wet the sand paper.

mkl399

he means work your way up to it. like in inkrements. so like 150, 200 350, 500, 600 or something. you have to move up so you can get out the scratches left by the previous sandpaper. once you get to about 600 your paint should be able to fill in the scratches without you really seeing them

mkl399

another thing to know is that you can increace the increments between sanpaper grits the higher the grit you are using.

YourboyP401

without any prior experience
best advice to give you is to practice first on a junk hood
Might waste money but messing up on something you drive sucks

chronsolo

MAD MAN
to do color sanding/wet sanding you want some really fine sand paper 1,200 to 2000, keep a spray bottle full of water on hand an keep that shit WET!

I'm surrently in the same situation and was wondering, i have some good dents and scratches on my ride, for the ones i can't pop, what kind of body filler is the best to roll with?