Painting rims

subbyzzz

I know you can paint rims, I just don't know if I can paint mine.. they're off of a stock integra, I believe... 94-98 im not too sure. I don't really know the DC's... anyways these are the rims that I have, they're the aluminum ones or alloy I'm not sure... they've got a grain to the metal that's why I don't know if I could paint them.. if I can paint them... how would I? I feel like the paint wouldnt stick to these & I wouldnt know how to sand them...

subbyzzz

Sand with. What? I don't have a sand blaster... and sanding will only uncover more metal

iCali

Daily User
sand with 400 grit and prime paint clear dont be lazy you will regret it later

dlo253

Sand with. What? I don't have a sand blaster... and sanding will only uncover more metal
Seriously dude?? Lol, google or sumthn man. You gotta sand the wheels to remove the current finish.......Just google 'Painting wheels' there should be plenty of walkthrough with pics. You can spray right over the wheels but it wont last. You just want to at least scuff it up good so the paint will stick better.

For the best finish i would sand the hell out of them to get rid of most of the finish. I'd start with 80 or 120 grit and get finer progressively. Just do it right the first time and you will be very happy, and wont have to do it again in 3 months.

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Sandpaper? :retard: and duh, that's kind of the idea in order to get the paint to have something to stick to dude...

Last edited:

EyeKhan

¡AY, CARAMBA!
This is off BeatBox's build thread. He painted his webs.
1.tires off wheels
2.sand curved marks off
3.apply paint stripper wait 10-15 minutes and do it again 2 more times
4.mask off the face off the wheel paint in between the spokes(not sure if black or gray)
5.take a "mouse" sander to the face off the wheel
6.sand by hand with 500,1000,1200 and then 2000 grit sand paper
7.polish the face off the wheel with Mothers Wheels polish (with drill)
[YOUTUBE="BeatBox]f_gTcWL3YYQ[/YOUTUBE]

[quote="BeatBox, post: 737835"] here they are after they been sprayed 2-3 times

un-taped them and took a "mouse sander" to start with

after 500grit

then by hand the rest

after 1000grit

after 1200grit

after 2000grit

started to apply polish with drill, you can see it changes from a white paste to gray witch means its working :)

after applying the polish twice you end up with this, not too bad. im sure if i had air tools to do the sanding it would be alot better but for what it is not too bad.

thats it for now, still need to paint around the lug holes, should of done if before but didnt think about[/QUOTE]

Final product: Charcoal Grey webs

Damn, it took some super duper effort to find these photos and organize them. :)

Last edited:

subbyzzz

Damn guys, you don't gotta be so harsh. I know plenty about spray painting the body of a car, I just wasn't sure about the rims... I mean thanks for the advice for sure.. but you're makin me feel like a dunce haha. Seriously though thanks I'm going to get right on this :)

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Exactly what i thought to myself. Hilarious..
You're alright klutch. Haha :thumbs up
:beer: :)

Damn guys, you don't gotta be so harsh. I know plenty about spray painting the body of a car, I just wasn't sure about the rims... I mean thanks for the advice for sure.. but you're makin me feel like a dunce haha. Seriously though thanks I'm going to get right on this :)
Concepts are all the same my man haha

phinattic

Painting is good but look into powder coating. Its not that expensive and is way better for rims than painting.

subbyzzz

I don't really have the money to powder coat.. if I fail at painting then maybe, but since they're stock webs I'm not too worried about it. I think I got it down though. Wash, aircraft remover til clear is gone, sand, primer(x3), paint(x4), clear(x3) Hopefully it turns out nice and holds up for at least a year. Does anyone know a good paint brand to do wheels with? I'm looking for a nice gloss black. I'd like to have the clear and paint be the same brand.

phinattic

Are you going to rattle can the paint or use automotive paint and spray it? Duplicolor is ok but if you have a Sherwin Williams color match store in your area I would go with that. It all depends on what your budget is. Just remember the more work you put into the prep the longer it will last. make sure you read the instructions on the stripper you use and clean and neutralize the rims before you sand primer and paint or it will come off.

subbyzzz

I think I'm going to wash super good with a wire brush soap & water, wipe with cloth, use the stripper until all the clear is gone, sand with 200-400, prime (3 coats) with some generic black primer and sand if rough, duplicolor black satin wheel paint (3 coats) and wet sand if rough, then 4 coats of clear. I think these will turn out really good. I've never seen black webs before. I will keep you guys posted throughout the process