Password JDM

ArmyIntegra

Registered Teg Driver
Created to talk about all things Password JDM, the possible death of it, and general opinions.

Last edited:

treeafodo

Austin
I heard their sales were down, which is believable considering their prices.

Looking forward to seeing what Dylan has to say about it.

ArmyIntegra

Registered Teg Driver
I've never messed with PW:JDM, I never could stand looking at those parts at those prices. So, I'm completely biased on whether or not they should shut down.

'94 Teg FTW.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
For everyone confused on whats going on, this is the official press release from Password JDM:

WE’RE SHUTTING IT ALL DOWN!
To Everyone out there

Pico Rivera, CA 9/20/2013
Its been one hell of a run for the last 11 years! We kicked ass, and made automotive history with what we did for JDM. From all of us here at Password:JDM, we are collectively sad to have to say it, but we're shutting it all down! We wanna give thanks to all of our fans, customers, and all the people who believed in us. We're at a point in our life where there are other things we'd like to do, driving every am to Pico Rivera to slang JDM parts is no longer one of them. I am about to become 37 years old now, there are other things i'd like to do as well. Therefore, its time for us to move on... when you can choose to leave, why not leave on top? Anyhow, with our current stock, its going to be a while to clear this out. The faster, the better... thats why we are kicking this one and final clearance sale!

Oh yeah, to all the fellas with the PWJDM tattoos, wear that s*** proudly! You are forever part of the Password Family, and like all things JDM, you are exceptionally rare. I will always remember you guys for what you did for us, many thanks, give us a call, and we'll hook you up with more swagg!

To all of our 152,000+ facebook fans... we'll keep the page around for s***s and giggles... follow us till kingdom come or until M. Zuckerbergg decides to shut down FB himself! Many thanks to you guys as well.

It has always made me smile when I pulled up to a random car meet somewhere and see a PWJDM part on a car, or a T-shirt on someone's back. A very special thanks to anyone who has spent a nickel or more with us. a nickel was the price of cheapest item we ever sold. i believe it was a used bumper sticker, and in hindsight, i think we charged 4 cents more than we should have.

we'll be around to ship out every last single order.

signed>>>

Mr. PasswordJDM!!!
you know who I am!!!

Now we all know one thing:
They are over priced. Well lets take a step back, They are over priced because they were one of the premiere importers who cashed in on the "jdm craze" They sold things under the guise of "type r" and "JDM". Other stuff like the generic Honda stuff was fairly priced. Now as far as their original products go, they were making products for every car, eg, eg, ec, da, GTR, FRS etc. They had good original products, but i doubt they were worth the price tag. Carbing IMO is worth the price ta...except the 3pt strut bar on a 94-97 integra. Its then not worth the price tag.

But lets get on to my opinions of why they are going out of business:
XJoeNX (Joe) eluded to it being a tactic for a new reorganization of the company through a new owner. And, i can see that. It would really make the press release at face value be true.

My other opinion is that they are going under because they simply cant compete with other companies, produce parts and import goods. You can really only do one of the three things. If you look at JHPUSA for instance they dont bring in containers, or make their own parts, they stick with what they are good at and do that, same with H Motors To develop a part for X car it takes a while to do, you need to design it, make it, test it, and produce it. It becomes very expensive to do so for a range of cars, and on top of that you want to make a profit. I dont think Password JDM was being profitable enough to them, with making parts, importing and selling parts. Their ambition IMO paired with their pricing is what drove them under.

That being said, they sold produducts like the weld in baffles that were a steal. It was $40 for the baffles, ~$120 for an oil pan new, ~$40 for some welding ( I got mine done at EGR because i rather a race shop do mine than a fly by night shop) that comes out to $180. A spoon/Mugen baffled pan is much much more expensive for the same damn thing.

Last edited:

ArmyIntegra

Registered Teg Driver
When you put it like that, I can see where they were coming from. Profit, obviously. I just think they were looking for too much too soon. Maybe if they would have lowered prices down to close to the bare minimum of profitabiliTy, and then just waited it out to get rich, they may have sustained a little bit longer. IMO of course..

'94 Teg FTW.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
When you put it like that, I can see where they were coming from. Profit, obviously. I just think they were looking for too much too soon. Maybe if they would have lowered prices down to close to the bare minimum of profitabiliTy, and then just waited it out to get rich, they may have sustained a little bit longer. IMO of course..

'94 Teg FTW.
JDM tail lights 98+
$200 on PWJDM
$75 H Motors

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I dont think they were importing anything lately. Those tail lights were out of stock for a long time.
which makes me believe they lost interest in importing goods.

Amiguel6

Doing all of what they did wasn't an easy task as an independent company. Like Dylon said, it takes a while and a lot of money to design, make, test and produce. That being said, is why they charge so much. But, i can tell you one thing...their expensive parts, are better than these cheap eBay parts.

ArmyIntegra

Registered Teg Driver
Doing all of what they did wasn't an easy task as an independent company. Like Dylon said, it takes a while and a lot of money to design, make, test and produce. That being said, is why they charge so much. But, i can tell you one thing...their expensive parts, are better than these cheap eBay parts.
Agreed. And at least they know the parts they're replacing.. Half of the stuff you buy on ebay won't fit right away or at all.

'94 Teg FTW.