Paul Walker of Fast & Furious films has passed away in a car crash today.

jbrown97ls

This is really sad for everyone involved in the tragedy.

Whats scary about this entire thing is that the car ended up in two pieces...they hit the pole with so much force the motor separated from the carbon tub. Thats what i think started the fire. But to hit that hard...there had to be some serious speed behind it.

hate to say it but its another gruesome reminder of how important safety is, as well as keeping it off the streets.

I'm sure as soon as the engine touched the carbon it caught fire. The resin and epoxies used are really flammable. Agreed though, they had to have been hauling ass for that the happen. Even though carbon does terrible in bending loads since it doesn't yield, I would hope Porsche designed it well enough to withstand normal impacts.

That car was almost un recognizable

Amiguel6

But hitting an object at a slower speed will be less damage.

What would cause more damage? Hitting a Pole at 20mph.or hitting a Pole at 60mph?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I'm sure as soon as the engine touched the carbon it caught fire. The resin and epoxies used are really flammable. Agreed though, they had to have been hauling ass for that the happen. Even though carbon does terrible in bending loads since it doesn't yield, I would hope Porsche designed it well enough to withstand normal impacts.

That car was almost un recognizable
the resin is only flamable until it is cured. Theres no way formula 1 cars or road cars would use carbon tubs if they were flamable after curing

jbrown97ls

But the resins are non metallic, so aren't they combust able? This was my impression from my experience at work where we deal with a lot of flammability testing and certification for the FAA. Any composite or non metallic material( except magnesium since it's extremely flammable) has to pass burn tests

jbrown97ls

But hitting an object at a slower speed will be less damage.

What would cause more damage? Hitting a Pole at 20mph.or hitting a Pole at 60mph?
Well duh, we all know that. I'm just staying that I've seen photos of other cars that have wrapped around poles going around 100mph and they weren't in that bad of shape. How fast do you honestly think they were going?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
But the resins are non metallic, so aren't they combust able? This was my impression from my experience at work where we deal with a lot of flammability testing and certification for the FAA. Any composite or non metallic material( except magnesium since it's extremely flammable) has to pass burn tests
you have me wondering now.

jbrown97ls

you have me wondering now.
I think the FAA is just about 100x more strict than whatever regulates automobiles (actually, now that I think of it, there isn't a sole regulating body is there?) . Cause I know that magnesium is used for a lift gate frame on an SUV/crossover of some kind and that companies such as ford (confirmed per their lightweight vehicle structures lecture I attended) would like to see magnesium used more, but stupid things like paint ,yes, paint...are holding them back from using it more and on visible panels.

jbrown97ls

Honestly atleast 65-70mph
Which yeah that is fast as hell to be hitting a pole from any direction...hell, anything over 40 I imagine ending tragically, but that car definitely wasn't designed to be safe. Not saying that it's Porsches fault, it could have ended the same way in any other vehicle.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Actually i found one photo where the car was in 1 piece rather than the 2 piece car that i had originally seen. So not sure what happened. So.....

CONSPIRACY!!!!!!

JustinMcGee1

I like Hondas
after a little research I've read the Carrera GT has very twitch steering, tends to over-steer easily (shocker), has the fuel lines routed through the cabin, and has a Magnesium transmission tunnel.