PCV valve-to-crankcase hose. Help!

Amiguel6

So, today i replaced my PCV valve. Well like all PCV valves, it didn't come out. So, i used a flathead and hammered it out. Well, i guess while i was doing that, the hose that runs from the PCV valve to the crankcase (under intake manifold), ripped and broke off of the grommet where the valve goes in.

My question: in what way does it affect the car until i can get a new one?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Amiguel6

No. Its the hose that goes from the pcv valve to the crankcase. It's located under the intake manifold. Will it affect the car?

osiris19

It is a ventilation system for the crankcase. Without it, there can be excessive crankcase pressure and can create lots of blowby. I'll start spitting oil. I must read this somewhere, but don't take my word completely for it. I haven't learned PCV valves at school yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Its a check valve. Thats all it is. As long as the hose out of the block is not plugged than it is fine.

-You can leave the block hose open and it will vent to atmosphere. That is fine.
-You can connect the block hose directly to the intake hose without a PCV valve and it would also be fine.
-The only time the PCV valve is active (shut) is when the intake manifold is at 0psi or above (WOT). That is to prevent the crank case from being pressurized by the higher pressure of the intake. Its a minor safety valve.

Theasian

The hose being broke you may notice some oil coming out just small amounts. Plug the other side of the hose going into the manifold. Or else you will be drawing air from atmosphere basically a big vacuume leak.

You don't have to worry about blowing seals out because basically instead of the pos. Crankcase pressure going into the intake mani its going to atmosphere

95B18BTurbo

If you broke the hose you can just get another one from the auto parts store. You can also get a new PCV valve there as well too.

96LSteg

Jemel
Dont know if this matters but Im actually running dual PCV valves. I have a B18A1 with a breather box and a B1 valve cover with a PCV valve there as well. Just thought I would throw that in there :lol: