Picking this up tomorrow

Rattlecan Hero

Frame Banger
http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/pts/3570473962.html

With all of the work put into it and the parts that it built with, 900 bucks is a steal. I can't wait to drop it in and dyno it and see what kind of power its making. The guy I'm buying it from is an engine builder at one of the local performance shops in my area and already had some good people in the scene vouch for this motor.

96LSteg

Jemel
High comp LS????

Edit: just read the ad. Does it have a P8R head or a P75 head?
What kind of cam? It's gonna run like sh** with a stock cam. With that comp. you will need an aftermarket cam.
What's the p2v clearance? Did he clay it to check?
If it has never been cranked how do you know it works?
These are questions that need answers when looking at a motor that stout.
If he just rebuilt it why is he only wanting 900? Sounds fishy...

Last edited:

white4d96

Burning oil like a boss
Yeah high comp LS's are foolhardy. Built to the hilt and barely driveable you'll be lucky to see 200whp.

96LSteg

Jemel
Yeah high comp LS's are foolhardy. Built to the hilt and barely driveable you'll be lucky to see 200whp.
Yea I was looking into high comp. for my LS but my plans are slowly starting to change. And high comp. boost is out because no e85 nearby.

enoch723

Word of advice to buying "rebuilt" engines off craigslist. ALWAYS make sure it runs. I got two different engines from two different people that rebuilt the whole thing. The b18 was supposed to only be a bbottom half rebuild. Both of them didnt get bearings greased and needless to say, they didnt run very long

Rattlecan Hero

Frame Banger
I've seen receipts for everything on this motor. I have his name, phone number, address, the kind of car he drives. I have full confidence this will motor will run without a single problem.

96LSteg

Jemel
Again. Do you know the piston to valve clearances? Aftermarket cams? What head? If he didnt check piston to valve clearance and its not up to spec you could crank it and f*** it up before you even start it. Receipts don't prove tht it was built right. Just proves that parts. I personally wouldn't buy it based off the fact that you don't even know if it runs.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
I got excited when I saw those big dome pistons then I scrolled down to see the non VTEC valve cover and was like "awww".

96LS is asking some valid questions you need answered before buying.

enoch723

Again. Do you know the piston to valve clearances? Aftermarket cams? What head? If he didnt check piston to valve clearance and its not up to spec you could crank it and f*** it up before you even start it. Receipts don't prove tht it was built right. Just proves that parts. I personally wouldn't buy it based off the fact that you don't even know if it runs.
Agreed. 100%

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
whoaaa look at those pistons.. id be skeptical on the p2v clearance. and running on that high of a compression, wouldnt you need to run race gas or something? i clicked the link and it doesnt work. i wanna read more specs on this motor.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
13:1 is fine with a good tune, I run mine on 93 with no problem. But you better have that thing tuned, there is no way you should drive it with an oem map, you'll kill it in no time.