please help, 1990 Integra starts then dies...

bog_72

I just picked up a 1990 Integra a couple days ago.Guy had it parked in garage a year without starting it.Picked up a battery and it started right up.Happy as a clam,I shook his hand and took it home.

....the next day I go to start it,and it turns over,starts for a second then dies.It does this over and over until eventually it will start,but get this...other times it will just not turn over at all.Battery is giving juice,and everything else is functional,but not a bit of life when trying to turn it over.Just silence.

So I figured it was old gas.So filled it with gas,problem there is there was a half tank of the old gas.Anyway it didnt help.Added a can of heat to get some more alcohol in there...nothing.

So im caught between changing the main relay and the fuel filter.Does that sound about right?Would the main relay cause it to start and stop...and other times just not start at all with no spark...or would it be a filter just not allowing that old gas through from time to time?

Oh and the ground from the engine block near the plugs gives a huge spark when it does turn over.From what I understand that ground is for increased performance and isnt going to keep an engine from starting,but I am not sure.Could a bad connection there mess with all this?

So before I go spend another hundred bucks guessing,anyone have an idea what it may be?Id appreciate the help.Thanks.

JGvtec

Well, let's see. Its been sitting for a year and you just bought it. Don't you think it would be a good idea to maybe do a tune up.

bog_72

Well, let's see. Its been sitting for a year and you just bought it. Don't you think it would be a good idea to maybe do a tune up.

Yea I can think of alot of things it could use,but kind of wanted to start with getting it to stay running first.Thanks though.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
see if it will run on gum cutter, spray some down a vacum line. sounds like fuel pump dude

bog_72

cool thanks everyone.I will do the filter and see if that gets it done.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
cool
let us know how that works out
a tune up is definitely recommended

new spark plugs, wires,air filter, fuel filter, waterpump, timing belt etc.

bklynvenom

hey guy i need help, i have a 1997 honda civic hatchback ek with a jap GSR motor, i just got the car the other day. the guy told me that it need a new tranny, i want it to know what kind of tranny can i put in the car . the car start but it wont move

Last edited:
hey guy i need help, i have a 1997 honda civic hatchback ek with a jap GSR motor, i just got the car the other day. the guy told me that it need a new tranny, i want it to know what kind of tranny can i put in the car . the car start but it wont move
1) Start your own thread.
2)Any b-series hydro trans will work. I recommend sticking to a GSR or B16 trans.

SnowD

Honda cars of Plano sales
I just picked up a 1990 Integra a couple days ago.Guy had it parked in garage a year without starting it.Picked up a battery and it started right up.Happy as a clam,I shook his hand and took it home.

....the next day I go to start it,and it turns over,starts for a second then dies.It does this over and over until eventually it will start,but get this...other times it will just not turn over at all.Battery is giving juice,and everything else is functional,but not a bit of life when trying to turn it over.Just silence.

So I figured it was old gas.So filled it with gas,problem there is there was a half tank of the old gas.Anyway it didnt help.Added a can of heat to get some more alcohol in there...nothing.

So im caught between changing the main relay and the fuel filter.Does that sound about right?Would the main relay cause it to start and stop...and other times just not start at all with no spark...or would it be a filter just not allowing that old gas through from time to time?

Oh and the ground from the engine block near the plugs gives a huge spark when it does turn over.From what I understand that ground is for increased performance and isnt going to keep an engine from starting,but I am not sure.Could a bad connection there mess with all this?

So before I go spend another hundred bucks guessing,anyone have an idea what it may be?Id appreciate the help.Thanks.
Take out your fuel relay and smell it and if it smells burnt...Then it's pretty self explanatory at that point. It just seems like gas isn't getting to your motor. Make sure he doesn't have some kind of kill switch installed that you don't know about..I've had that shit happen to me on a new car buy. :???:

bog_72

Thanks again for the help everyone.For an older car I was sure id be waiting weeks for a response,but turns out you guys are all over it.

So this morning I changed the fuel filter and fitted the connection a little better on the ground wire to the block,and first try...started right up.Drove it around,went and washed it.Came home and let it sit.Went back out and started right up again,so we may have nailed it.

Im not gonna take it on vacation just yet,because it did start and run at times before as well.If it gives me any problems again,ill know to go at the relay.

O.k. off to get plugs, oil and filters...thanks again everyone!!

BUGGZB1986

hey guys i have a 1990 4 door, the other day i went to in and out drive thru we all know that takes forever. anyways im sitting at idle for 15 min check engine light comes on. cars not knocking nor overheating its at normal temp any ways i drive home turn off car and try restart it to see if check engine lights still on. well it was'nt but my car wont start! theres no turn over no nothing all lights are working its just no crank or anything, i've had the car for 3 months and this hasnt happened engine was hot, im thinking it just needed to cool down i"m check in the morning but if any1 can help please do this is my school car.

hey guys i have a 1990 4 door, the other day i went to in and out drive thru we all know that takes forever. anyways im sitting at idle for 15 min check engine light comes on. cars not knocking nor overheating its at normal temp any ways i drive home turn off car and try restart it to see if check engine lights still on. well it was'nt but my car wont start! theres no turn over no nothing all lights are working its just no crank or anything, i've had the car for 3 months and this hasnt happened engine was hot, im thinking it just needed to cool down i"m check in the morning but if any1 can help please do this is my school car.
Start your own thread.
Check what code it's throwing.
How long has it been since your car got a tune up?
Does the fuel pump prime? If not, it could be the main relay.
Check the simple stuff first.

BUGGZB1986

ok 1st off i did start my own thread no 1 seems to be respondin secondly the car started today i didn get a chance to check priming but i was told to jus change the relay cuz my friend said they have probs especally wen the integras run for awhile n get hot but my temp gauge wasnt even at half