Polished my GT3's, MANY pics :D (somewhat Tutorial)

DLO

When I first traded for these wheels, tuesday, I noticed that the clear coat was thrashed, and it look like they'd been acid washed or eaten away by road salt.
So as the curious, stubborn 16 year old I am, I started sanding away.
Sandpapers used-
320-600-1000-1500-2000
Wetsanded by the way.
Keep the wheel and paper wet, I brused away the excess aluminum with wet steel wool or a terry cloth every now and then.
Once they look smooth, and sandpaper groove/scratches are all the same size and going the same way, move up in grain.
Once you are done with the 2000 grit, dry very very well, preferably with a microfiber to get the hidden aluminum dust.
Then hit it with the Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish. Rub it in like wax on a car, until your rag turns black. you should see some black residue on the wheel.
Buff all the haze off, and let em gleam.

took me about 3 hours a wheel.
BEFORE:::

As you can see, they were horrible. That was even after a thorough cleaning.

AFTER MY LABORING.

They may not be perfect, but they look damn good compared to how they did before.

AcurInteg96

Just call me chris.
damn man. wish i had known you before i sold my 17s!

DLO

ive not been able to find Auto grade sandpaper. where did you get yours?
To be honest, finding the sandpaper was one of the harder parts.
I went to lowe's, looked around for my self, didn't find anything, and then some worker tried to convince me they had it until I proved him wrong.

I bought the low grit from lowe's however. the 320 and 600.

I bought the 1000, 1500, and 2000 from Autozone.

If there isn't an autozone in your area, I'd try Kragen/O'Reillys or Pep Boys.
Call in advance so you aren't just driving all over the place.

I'm glad you guys like the turnout :)

AcurInteg96

Just call me chris.
To be honest, finding the sandpaper was one of the harder parts.
I went to lowe's, looked around for my self, didn't find anything, and then some worker tried to convince me they had it until I proved him wrong.

I bought the low grit from lowe's however. the 320 and 600.

I bought the 1000, 1500, and 2000 from Autozone.

If there isn't an autozone in your area, I'd try Kragen/O'Reillys or Pep Boys.
Call in advance so you aren't just driving all over the place.

I'm glad you guys like the turnout :)
sweet ill have to get started!

whitedc4

looks a lot lot better. decent write up. polish does wonders!
:thumbs up

did you spray a clear coat? if not just make sure you keep them clean brake dust on polished wheels is murderous i basically gave a set away of si's that i spent 40 hours polishing because of the dirty-ness that they were able to pick up so easily and so hard to take off of that polished face.

DeathMetalTony

Just do what I did pressure wash the rim's first throw on some degreaser let it sit. Maybe wash the rest of the car and come back and hit it again with the pressure waste and voila all clean and shiny.

Tony.