Polishing rims question

vinh

I am deciding to polish my fat fives but i heard polishing rims are bad. Is it true?

ryanDC

i would like to know too. my meshies need a polish

mkl399

I did my fat fives. they don't look horrible but they arnt like drop dead stunning either. huge improvement from what they where. I t does take a reasonable amount of time to get them to look good. like 2+ hours a rim depending on the condition.

For mine i:
started out with an orbital sander and 80 grit to get out big scratches and curb rash.
after that i just progressed through sandpaper, ending at about 1500 grit. If you are serously considering doing this though, make sure you sand in all the same direction or it will look like shit. Make sure you clear them afterwords. Duplicolor makes a rim coat that works great.

Before: (kinda bad picture, but there is clearcoat peel, and some bad rash from previous owner)

After:

On the Car:

vinh

But does it harm the rims if you sand to polish them?

mkl399

i dont really see how it would.... i mean youll be able to see small scratches in it no matter how fine you go. But as long as you clear coat it, which you should do anyway with aluminum rims, they wont oxidize and get all nasty.

Plus i did that a year and a half ago and besides for having to re-apply clear coat, they look perfectly fine still.

mkl399

agreed ^
doing it yourself will make them look good for cheap, exspecially if you have the stuff to do it. if not, expect to spend $40-50 or so on sandpapers and clear coat, depending on how much you get wana where you get it.
If you want them to look really good, do what JG says and get them done professionally.
IMO fat fives and meshies ar'nt nice enough to go spend a bunch of money and get them professionally done, but thats just me.

BeatBox

Real Good!
I did my fat fives. they don't look horrible but they arnt like drop dead stunning either. huge improvement from what they where. I t does take a reasonable amount of time to get them to look good. like 2+ hours a rim depending on the condition.

For mine i:
started out with an orbital sander and 80 grit to get out big scratches and curb rash.
after that i just progressed through sandpaper, ending at about 1500 grit. If you are serously considering doing this though, make sure you sand in all the same direction or it will look like shit. Make sure you clear them afterwords. Duplicolor makes a rim coat that works great.

Before: (kinda bad picture, but there is clearcoat peel, and some bad rash from previous owner)

After:

On the Car:
those look pretty good, i did the same thing on the 17s that came on my car. curved to hell when i finished them they def where way better but didnt look like brand new but cant expect them to do so when its DIY project.