Poor gas milage with whale penis intake on my lsv

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast
I'm driving the same way and probably better with the penis on it.yes I'm hooking everything back up the way I took it off.this really stumps me.i will take a pic of the cluster with the miles I went on this half tank and then fill up and stake another pic with the stock airbox on it
Just get a CAI like mine. Whale peniss suck anyways. They look like shit and they are overrated.

R13

The other asshole
SRI, Not CAI, CAI puts the filter down infront of the passenger side front wheel and sucks in cooler air.

I prefer the SRI for daily driving, Better for the mid range and you don't have to worry about sucking up a bunch of water on rainy days.

Aceofspades

lol, this is some what amusing. one theory is your are sucking in more and colder air, apearntly 30% more O2 then previously (wich seems a bit of a reach considering its not a cold air intake and its right next to your exhaust and radiator) but if this was the case and the increase of O2 to your engine was aprox. 30% greater due to this intake then its not crazy to think that your O2 sensors would read that increase in oxygen and your ecu would then start pumping more fuel to compensate.

example of this effect in a diffrent dynamic : my thermostat was broken and stayed wide open , never allowing my car to run at normal operational temperture soo the ecu would dump more fuel in the car (like it does when you first start it up on a cold morning or night) to bring the car up to operational temp. replacing the thermostat uped my gas milage from 25mpg to 30mpg ( on avg)

for those who don't understand where i get my logic: NOS supercools oxygen alowing it to condese the oxygen sensors then read an increase in oxygen and tells the ecu to dump more fuel . this increased the power. ( this example of a "dry" nos injection system). IF , and i argue a BIG IF, that "whale penis" has increased the amount of oxygen into your system by 30% its conciveable that your gas millage would have gone done equally as bad , HOWEVER 30% increas in use of gas for THIS reason would show a considerable increase in HP wich I assume you are not noticing.

Vacum lines or eliminating a O2 sensor that you need to have good gas millage or simply replacing it could cause bad gas millage but as stated above, 30% is ALOT.

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast
lol, this is some what amusing. one theory is your are sucking in more and colder air, apearntly 30% more O2 then previously (wich seems a bit of a reach considering its not a cold air intake and its right next to your exhaust and radiator) but if this was the case and the increase of O2 to your engine was aprox. 30% greater due to this intake then its not crazy to think that your O2 sensors would read that increase in oxygen and your ecu would then start pumping more fuel to compensate.

example of this effect in a diffrent dynamic : my thermostat was broken and stayed wide open , never allowing my car to run at normal operational temperture soo the ecu would dump more fuel in the car (like it does when you first start it up on a cold morning or night) to bring the car up to operational temp. replacing the thermostat uped my gas milage from 25mpg to 30mpg ( on avg)

for those who don't understand where i get my logic: NOS supercools oxygen alowing it to condese the oxygen sensors then read an increase in oxygen and tells the ecu to dump more fuel . this increased the power. ( this example of a "dry" nos injection system). IF , and i argue a BIG IF, that "whale penis" has increased the amount of oxygen into your system by 30% its conciveable that your gas millage would have gone done equally as bad , HOWEVER 30% increas in use of gas for THIS reason would show a considerable increase in HP wich I assume you are not noticing.

Vacum lines or eliminating a O2 sensor that you need to have good gas millage or simply replacing it could cause bad gas millage but as stated above, 30% is ALOT.
So to sum it up, it will make a small difference in gas milage but also increased HP. (That is the CAI job) but it won't increase it enough to cause a 30% difference.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
The engine is not sucking in more air.

Unless the stock intake cant flow enough to match the cfm of the engine, sticking a metal intake tube on an engine does not increase the amount of air going into it.

DRIFTERJM

Get a AEM short ram intake. I get about 28 mpg and feels better in mid and high rpm.. My buddy has a gsr with a whale penis and only gets 17 mpg.

94Ls-Vtec

I was seeing if anyone else had this problem or might know why or someshit.why is it there is always that one guy that has to act like a dick?

94Ls-Vtec

With the factory box I get about 37 mpg but with the whale penis I get about 30 mpg so I Guss uts not raft bad.

Ganyon

You do realize that integras were rated between 25 and 28 mpg brand new. With that being said, I wouldn't complain about getting 30mpg.

Nick_C78

37 and 30? I am thinking your math is off a little...or your speedometer is messed up and reading too high which also means mileage isn't accurate. That is an insane mpg to get consistently sir...

Who was the one being a dick? I am assuming you mean me...even though I am the one answering your question and telling you why your mpg would go down(because that intake is garbage).

Last edited:

94Ls-Vtec

I was getting 40 mpg every time before I got the new computer and tuned but now with the factory box I get a average 37 so that's what im used to seeing and when I put this intake on it really drops.yes I was talking about you nick_c78 I was seeing if anyone else ran into this problem because I searched for a week and couldn't find anything.so u don't have to be rud

Nick_C78

How are you calculating your MPG? I am just curious.

You did all that research and didn't find any information about that intake being crap? Also how is showing you that it sucks being rude? Don't be so sensitive.