Port my box or seal her up

sylvaner01

Hey audio guys out there, just a simple question.

This is my sub
[/URL]

Nothing special here, just a 200WRMS that does the job.
10" sub btw

Here are my questions:

Am I better off making a ported box or to make a sealed box?
I do not have the recommended dimension requirements for the sub so does anybody have an idea how big the box should be?
What should I look for in the design aspect? where do I start in designing my box?

Materials are not an issue so the box can be as big as it needs to be.

Cheers clubteg

crash.1340

if you like tight, controlled bass, opt for either a sealed box. if you like it boomy and loud, usually ported is best. if you want clear and loud bass, then go bandpass. those are just the general rules of thumb. i have two 12" Audiobahn AW1251Ts and a Powerbass 400.2X running off an amazing Pioneer DEH-P8300UB head unit. to be honest, it hurts sometimes, it is so loud but clear, i have to turn the sub output to -10 and it still rings my ears on a couple songs

sylvaner01

if you like tight, controlled bass, opt for either a sealed box. if you like it boomy and loud, usually ported is best. if you want clear and loud bass, then go bandpass. those are just the general rules of thumb. i have two 12" Audiobahn AW1251Ts and a Powerbass 400.2X running off an amazing Pioneer DEH-P8300UB head unit. to be honest, it hurts sometimes, it is so loud but clear, i have to turn the sub output to -10 and it still rings my ears on a couple songs
Thanks mate, exactly what I wanted to hear.
I think i'll stay sealed due to the music I listen to and the size of my sub.

Cheers for the comments guys.

camarokid_67

SCAR-H SON!!!
a sub delivers two types of sound waves f (frontal) b (recoil) and band pass box aka ported exemplifies the b wave which in return gives a very predominant low sound wave. example..... song Rosa Parks from Outkast in the intro there is a build up when the lows kick in u cant see out the rear view mirror hence exemplified b wave. if thats what u like, sport yur ride with ports. now on the other hand if u r a listener who wants the true potential out of his equipment then u rock sealed enclosures. all manufactures that test there subs supply the consumers with spec sheats that tell u the capabilities of that sub, all of them are tested in sealed enclosures with the correct air space. that my friend is the best i can do for this topic. best of luck.

Last edited:

crash.1340

Thanks mate, exactly what I wanted to hear.
I think i'll stay sealed due to the music I listen to and the size of my sub.

Cheers for the comments guys.
I've got those two subs in a sealed box, each with its own chamber. i listen to the likes of Staind, Parkway Drive, A Day To Remember, etc., even some Eminem. works perfectly and only 400 watts RMS to two 12s that, together, can handle 800, makes my front wipers dance in my DC2.

$.02

jcrabb13

Registered Abuser
Ported is for mas womp womp in the dubstep club that is my teggy :D

that being said I have several opinions about this:
1) port
2) port
3) jam \m/

90tegwhite

Keep Droolin' Im Spoolin'
PORTED BOXES ALL THE WAY! i have 2 10" rockford fosgate HX2's 1000watt each in a ported mega hertz box with an alpine pdx m12 amp and it pounds so hard i actually broke one of the ports yesterday lol... had to glue it back in place!!

WAR 178

Premium User
Sealed will give you the crisp clean bassline. I like this option the best..less rattle in the car.
Ported uses the actual rear hatch as the bassbox so to say... It will resinate and flow more for the people standing outside lol.

Prozon

Kris
Although I have no first hand experience I will tell you what i've been told.

For me I have two 10" subs in a sealed box. My friend says that I need to get a ported box for my kinds of music. (I don't listen to ONLY bass, I listen to rock, metal, ect ect..) A sealed box is supposed to be better for those nice clear bass songs.

Err.. something? Haha.

I'm happy with my sealed, I have heard the ported boxes are a lot louder too.

90tegwhite

Keep Droolin' Im Spoolin'
if i plug my ports in my box my subs sound like a 200w systen instead of a 1200w system... if you want everything your subs were made to do port the dam box! have had sealed and ported and IMO ported is way more worth the money of a box build the 01 dodge i had my ported system in there and i couldnt keep the rear view on the window or the gps sitting straight... and at xmas time looking at the lights when its dark outside looked like there was an earthquake because of the front windshield vibration

Last edited: