Possible Fuel Relay/ Pump Issue

CmMx112

1990 RS
Ive been searching through the forum for a while now and I still have a few questions concerning my no-start on my 1990 Integra RS. The car is completely stock and its been my daily for over a year and hasnt given me any issues until now. I was driving down the interstate and the car lost all power, if i tried to give it the gas the car would bog down like it wanted to die, I geared down until I hit 2nd gear and then it completely shut off, but restarted immediately. this happen twice within the next week and now the car will not start. **I was not able to get gas until my fuel light came on on my 2 previous fill-ups, which may have caused the issue**

I no longer hear the fuel pump initiate. Ive already replaced the fuel filter. I was wondering if the fuel relay has shorted/went bad, will it cause the fuel pump not to turn on when you turn the key? Im not 100 percent sure its fuel related but the car has 250xxx miles on it, so I'm sure it could be among other things but just with what happened days before I would say its fuel related. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I would hate dropping the tank and replacing the pump and it not fix the issue.

CmMx112

1990 RS
Can you get your hands on another relay to test your theory?
Are the fuses ok?
The only way I can get one is if I purchase it from the local parts store, I may be able to return it if it doesn't fix the problem but I'm not completely sure. Ill have to call and double check. Testing the fuses are going to be my next step before I purchase the relay, If its not raining tomorrow ill test them. Thanks!

I would keep thinking fuel. You might be able to use your rear defroster relay to test it out
Ill do some more research, if its possible it could save me 54 dollars!

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
You could connect the pump directly to a battery and see if it turns on.
This sounds a lot more like a fuel pump issue to me than a relay problem.

Are you sure you will need to drop the tank to get to the fuel pump?
I don't have experience with the DA but on the DC there is access to the fuel pump underneath the rear seats.

CmMx112

1990 RS
So I went ahead and purchased the relay and it was the culprit! When I pulled the original the motherboard was in pretty rough shape, with red residue covering a majority of the solders. Having this issue before on a jeep cherokee I immediately pointed towards the pump just because I couldn't hear it prime (in both cases) but with the integra it was a much easier/cheaper fix. Thanks for all of the hep and info you guys posted on the forum because without it I would have been completely lost!

CmMx112

1990 RS
You could connect the pump directly to a battery and see if it turns on.
This sounds a lot more like a fuel pump issue to me than a relay problem.

Are you sure you will need to drop the tank to get to the fuel pump?
I don't have experience with the DA but on the DC there is access to the fuel pump underneath the rear seats.
Unfortunately yes, you have to drop the tank to get to the pump on a 1990-93. Luckily for the 3rd gen owners you can get to the pump just under the rear seat! Makes me miss my '98! :worthy: