Possible Starter Defect

!Disciple!

Hey ya'll, I hope you're having a good day. I'm new to the forum. Here's a thinker for you. I have an 03 RSX type S and i just hit 100,000 miles. On cold mornings, like 50 and below, the starter will make a scratchy noise when I turn the ignition key. It cranks fine after that. On these mornings I can take my son to daycare which is 2 seconds down the road and when I get back in my car, it will crank right up with no scratchy noise. This scratchy noise i'm describing is the same exact sound your starter makes when you turn the ignition key while the car is already cranked. I can drive it all day and works fine. I get in it the next morning, if it's cold, it will make the same noise and then crank right up. When it's warmer weather, it does fine, no noise. so i took it to a CarShop and they checked the battery which was fine. I noticed on the label of the battery that is said Cold Cranking amps 425. So this morning I took my battery to AutoZone to have them test it. It was a good battery but the guy told me that it was a weak battery. So i bought the Gold DuraLast battery with 500 cold cranking amps. I put it in and it cranked right up with no noise. I didn't drive it all day today and temp has been around 32 ish so about 8 oclock tonight i decided to test it since it's been sitting out in the cold all day. I turned the key and there was the scratchy sound again. Now I know batteries do not charge well in colder temps. This morning when i bought the battery, the battery had been in doors in normal inside temp which is why I figured it didn't make the sound when I first installed the battery. I don't know. I would appreciate any guidance on this. Sorry for such a long post. I hope you have a blessed day and I hope to hear from you soon.
CB

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
either way, it shouldn't make a noise like that...

it might be that the starter is mis-aligned so it hits your flywheel teeth causing the noise, but I don't know why it would only be when it's cold outside..

I say it if really bothers you take it to a legit shop, and NOT somewhere like autozone.

!Disciple!

Well guys, it happened to be the battery. I replaced it and I haven't heard a sound all week. Thanks for your input. Take care and Have a blessed day!!
Later,
CB